CALS
Country
Uni
State
Pennsylvania
City
philadelphia
Hello folks,

My father in law has ALS, and I am trying to find a solution to better his communication independence. I stumbled upon OPTIKEY, and Tobii tracker, which look promising. I am process of buying those. I was wondering if anyone here, has any experience they could share on the does and don't.

Also if you have any recommendations on Tablet holders etc I would appreciate it. He is in India, with limited resources.

thanks,

Eye gaze is pricey and finicky, so I would consider other options first. What device(s) does he use now? Does he have any head movement? Any limb movement, even a finger joint or single muscle? Could he operate a head or tongue mouse, or a chin switch?

The iOS devices have built-in capability for head movement to be used as a switch. There is similarly a free app for Mac and I'm sure for Windows/Android as well.

The more details you can give us, the more we can help.

Best,
Laurie

thanks Laurie,

He currently has an Ipad, but cant use it as he has lost all control below his neck and his speech is weaker. Unfortunately we don't have insurance so, the $15000 dollar options aren't for us. I was thinking the Opti key solution with Tobii 4c might work well. I will give it a shot, and hopefully it will.

If he can twitch muscles in his cheek or raise his eyebrows, he could use a facial switch w/ the iPad and a switch interface (there are several). Still cheaper than eye gaze. Does he have any head movement? The iPad is already set up for head movement. What about a mouthstick?

thank you for the input Laurie, and Joeba.

HI Anu4real, we are currently practicing with a communication book the als association gave us. It is inexpensive and super easy to use. It's also great because you can use whatever language you want. Most computer gadgets we've seen don't give that option. My mom speaks Spanish only so we're able to fill in the blanks with her most common phrases, words of emotion, commands, needs, food and drinks, etc. Also tou can have as many pages as you need. I hope I attached a picture of it correctly and I will try to find a video.

Basically you are both looking at the same page him on his side and you on your side. That little opening in the middle allows you to see his eyes so that he can point to the top left corner, top right corner, bottom left corner or bottom right corner. Each corner has a set of 4 words with a shape next to them. Once you established which corner he picks, you then have shapes to pick which will either be at the top, bottom left or right of the page. Depending on their shape he chooses that's the word/phrase he wants to use. Then he moves on to the next and so on and so forth. Pretty basic but it really does work for everyday type of communication.
Hope it helps :)
-Erika

Attachments

• IMAG3235.jpg
    IMAG3235.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 270
See if your local alsa has any loaner Tobii devices. Mine did and loaned me one so I could start practicing before it was necessary. I can still move my neck and head and do use a had stylus to operate my iPad. Head not had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back