Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
City
Charlotte
I have read the two saved posts and based on those I realize not everything I have going on is typical ALS presentation but based on everything I've read the symptoms can look very different for each person so I still wanted to get some guidance and feedback that is greatly appreciated. I am a 35 year old female in good overall health and I exercise regularly.

Here is what I've had going on:
-for several months I've had the same muscle twitch behind my left elbow - kind of the bottom of my tricep. It twitches pretty regularly throughout the day.
-about two months ago I woke up with my left leg tingling kind of like it had fallen asleep. It stayed like that for two days and then just went away.
-about a month ago I began experiencing numbness and tingling in my arms and legs - both legs and arms but it eventually settled into mostly being the right arm and leg. This went on for about three weeks but has gotten a lot better this past week.
-As the tingling got better I noticed that my right leg - specifically my hamstring and low calf have started to feel weak. It feels like it's tired and tight from exercise but I haven't done anything to cause it and it feels weird to walk. This has been going on for about 1.5-2 weeks now and when I try to run or exercise the leg feels heavy and "weird". I've also noticed my right hand feeling similar - middle finger feels a little weird and it can feel funny to hold my tooth brush. I can still do everything but it justels harder. I read the ALS can be very mild at first so that concerns me.
-Twitches have gotten worse and I now have twitches especially at night in random parts of my body. Mostly in both legs, feet, and arms but something my stomach or hand.

I saw my neurologist (have one from previous migraines) when the numbness and tingling started and he did MRI's and blood work to rule out MS. MRI's were normal and most of the blood work too outside of my IgM Immune blood work coming back a bit elevated. My neuro is on vacation and I've followed up on the weakness/tightness I'm feeling but may not hear back for a while. I've a lot going on with my mom being diagnosed with a brain tumor and then having surgery. I was going through a ton of stress/anxiety with that but it's now been a month and I feel like the stress has gone away mostly.

What are your thoughts on this being ALS or something similiar. I realize numbness and tingling is rarely a presentation but I believe it's not unheard of. What should be the next step for me in evaluating what is going on? Thanks for your help!

Very sorry to hear about your mom, and hope the surgery is a step forward.

Widespread twitching and "funny feelings" point away from ALS. I would take a long look at your bed, sleep regimen, and your positioning as you work, and consider a classical stretch regimen such as you can find on YouTube.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks so much for your response and comment on my mom. She is actually doing really well - we are very blessed.

Just to clarify- Is ALS twitching normally focused on the affected limb versus widespread? And the weakness doesn’t cause any soreness or “feelings” to it?

Twitching is meaningless by itself i.e. without clinical weakness, and even less concerning when widespread.

No, the inability to do something isn't attached to soreness or feelings -- you just can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back