Diagnosis
07/2020
Country
US
State
OH
City
Albany
Hi - I've been recently diagnosed with ALS. Because I have considerable weakness in one hand I would like to purchase a countertop microwave oven that would be easy and safe to open and operate with one hand - maybe a push-button open model? Anybody here have any suggestions? - Thanks, Lou

Hi sorry you had to find us.

I think most ( if not all) microwaves these days are pushbutton and should be no problem operating one handed. Removing plates one handed would probably be trickiest.

the most difficult thing on my microwave is the door open button which takes a bit of force. When that becomes an issue holding something to push the button can let you use the strength in your arm rather than just your finger I have one of those things that look like a big key that are designed to operate door handles to avoid touching the door ( covid protection)

I recently purchased a small countertop microwave oven since I can no longer reach up to get things in an out of the microwave over the range. To open it, you just have to pull the handle of the door rather than pushing a button - I found that was easier for me. To keep the microwave from sliding on the counter when I pull the door open, I placed a piece of Dycem (a grippy plastic/silicone mat) under the back two feet.

This will work for me for a while. I have virtually no ability to grasp things with either hand although I can still pull with my bent fingers. Both of my arms are quite weak.

Nikki is correct that getting hot dishes out of the microwave can get tricky. I typically use bowls that have a wide, flat rim so that I can just lift the bowl with my hands under the rim without having to grasp anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears the two major styles currently on the market are push button and pull to open.

Push button relies on your ability to push the button, which may generally be easier for some. A countertop microwave may tend to move around when you push the button. We have had this problem in several of the hotels we have stayed at. Opening those ovens has required two hands. One to hold the microwave and another to push the button.

Pull to open microwaves require that you have sufficient grip strength to hold the handle and also sufficient arm/shoulder strength to pull the door open. Again, a countertop microwave may move when you do this. If choosing this type oven, I would be sure to get one with a handle that you can fit your entire hand into. Some only have a place for your fingertips to slide into. That would not work for me at all.

We have a built in microwave that is pull to open. I can fit my entire hand around the handle, so don't need finger strength to open it. It works fine for us.

Many years ago, some microwaves came with handles that were levers. The handle moved as you pulled on it and provided the leverage to release the latch with very little effort. I have not seen one of those in years.

You may also want to consider whether the microwave controls are buttons or a simple dial/knob. One may be easier for you than the other.

Steve

I'm sorry to welcome you here.

Some toaster ovens and combination microwave/convection ovens have "drop down" doors that require less force to open. Some toaster ovens also have the rack that comes out when you open the door, which can be good or bad. I didn't see a countertop just-microwave with this type of door, though.

Otherwise, my guess is that a handle would be easier than a push button, because there are more options for opening it. You can add grippy tape or silicone to make the handle easier to pull. You could possibly tie on a pull as well, that you could also use a gripper tool with. You can use a stick for the push button, but that might take more leverage.

With one hand better than the other, and doors that typically swing one way, you'll want to make sure that the door you choose leverages your better hand in the space you have.

Of course, as Steve and Nikki note, you always want to look at controls. Apart from a touchscreen vs. a dial, some dials are push/turn and others are just turn. Also, a dial that has distinct clicks to reach settings may be more difficult to turn.

The Dycem mat that Fusia mentions is a great solution for stabilizing a countertop microwave, or anything else on the counter. Dycem is also good for couch/chair/wheelchair tables and trays to keep items in place.

Last edited:
Dycem is good for a lot of things to help grip too I can’t open bottles without it. I also have an electric lid opener but it was very expensive so I don’t recommend unless you are sure you are very slow progressing

One other thing that helps me… I use the "add 30 seconds" button almost exclusively. It's easier for me to hover a finger or knuckle over that button and just press it as many times as I need, rather than moving my hand around to press different buttons to enter a time. I think most microwaves have that feature now, but you may want to make sure that the one you end up buying has that function if you think it would be helpful for you.

With that said, I typically do fairly short times to heat something up (2 or 3 minutes) - you probably wouldn't want to use that function if you need to heat something for 10 minutes!

I wouldn’t not have a microwave but I recently got a toaster/ convection oven. I had not had one in a while and had not used my very old toaster oven much before that. I have found the oven really fast and easy and things taste better.

Just a further note that if reaching the button is an issue, using a stylus or mouthstick, which can be used for other electronics, may help.

And a general note that there are a lot more adaptive products than we sometimes remember, though some are ripoffs. It's always worth it to Google something like adaptive fork or adaptive cup or whatever, to see what's out there and whether it's better to build or buy.

Thanks to all of your suggestions. I'm happy that, despite physical limitations, you all were kind enough to reply to my post. My old microwave is over the stove, and I am concerned about dropping hot food when bringing it out. I ordered a countertop model with a push button door opener and electronic controls. As long as my strong hand works I expect to be able to operate the microwave. The island in my kitchen has seating, so I can slide the hot food out of the microwave, then to where I am sitting. Should be easy and safe. - Thanks again, Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back