Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
Northridge
Hi guys my name is Justin, my father was diagnosed with ALS almost 4 years ago and is entering it’s late stage. My mother and I are looking for a part-time caregiver who would potentially be open to a full-time schedule in the future but it is not required. Experience with working with ALS patients or someone with ALS is preferred. We are located in Southern California, in the San Fernando Valley. If you may know anyone that would be a good fit or please contact me and I can give you more info too! Thank you.

Sincerely,

Little Box

Hi Little Box,

I'm sorry about your dad. I lived alone when I was diagnosed. I decided, when the time comes, I'll use people from the college where I taught for over 25 years. They have CNA, LPN, RN, BSRN, PTA, and OT degrees there. Students are eager to have something on their resumes. I will also have an agency as a backup as well as a couple of caregivers who live in my condo. That's my plan. It could change.

I'd call any local colleges, especially community/junior colleges and also look in the newspaper. I helped my friend find caregivers for his mom and most of them came from referrals. Some CNAs would rather work privately than for an agency. Also, I'm sure you know that you don't need a medical degree to learn about ALS and be trained to use Trilogy, feeding, etc.

You can also try your local ALS support group. They might have referrals. If your dad is in end-stage, it might be a good time to call hospice. I know many PALS have hospice for more than six months. One PALS I know is still living and going into his second year on hospice. He loves them. He also has a personal caregiver who cleans and does errands. Hospices differ so don't hesitate to call every one that serves your area.

Hi Justin ,
I'm in Southern California (Torrance). I have a friend who lives in Northridge who would be interested. She will be available after January 3. Not sure how I share private contact information here, so if anyone wants to chime in on this, I would be happy to put you in touch. No guarantee, as you never know what will be a good fit. All the best, Jim

I’ll message you both.

I provide most of the care for my pals but employ a cna one day a week from a local service I found through our church. I also have a volunteer who comes for a few hours one day so I can run errands. We are on hospice and it has really helped as the all day trips to the clinics were beyond exhausting for my pals both mentally and physically. The clinic social worker may be able to help you with a list of potential caregivers. Also if you go on hospice they have a social worker who may be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back