Reason
Other
Country
US
State
KY
City
Burlington
I’ll keep it brief and go by date. Currently afraid I may be dealing with early ALS. I have read the sticker and multiple other posts, I just wanted to address my specific case. I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You are wonderful people.

Male
Military

OCT 4-5 Had Nerve conduction/EEG (with needle) said I would benefit from MRI/CT due to abnormal activity in left arm.

OCT6 Laberal repai surgery.

Since surgery have had consistent headaches, severe fatigue, weakness, blurred vision with no damage to the eye, mental fog, nausea, dizziness, balance issues, increased mucus production, neck pain, lost 15 lbs since october, muscles smaller but as mentioned surgery and have not worked out since August other then physical therapy, odd neurological sensations. Multiple hospital visits.

Had an MRI of the cervical spine base off the EEG, negative.

CT scan without contrast of head and face, negative.

Lately physical therapist has mentioned increased weakness despite being far out from surgery.

This past thursday symptoms worsen go to Er and receive CT scan with contrast of neck and brain. Slight abnormality detected in neck, doctor says likely normal. Doctor suggests concern for possible MS but thinks unlikely. After I began looking into MS, notice symptoms more mirror ALS.

Forearms have been severely weak and have been getting weaker at physical therapy for shoulder. Forearms feel tight or cramped but no noticeable cramping to the touch. Texting and fine motor movements make forearms feel tight or seem to cramp. Forearms tire easily from minor tasks. Seems to be both but more prominent in left. Legs also feel weak.

MRI scheduled for tomorrow and consult with neurologist on Thursday. I have convinced myself that I have ALS. Mother and girlfriend have tried to reassure but at this point I have resigned to it due to the sensations in the forearms and the easy with which they tire and the feeling of tightening with use. Thank you for the advice in advance

Last edited:
The headaches, blurred vision, mental fog, and sensation of muscle tightness don’t suggest ALS. Let us know if there are any concerns after your upcoming neurologist visit.

Hello-

You have a long way to go before ALS is considered a real option. There are many other issues that share some of the same, or many of the same, symptoms as ALS. ALS has a specific pattern of symptoms, and many many other conditions need to be eliminated first. Don't be surprised if your neurologist writes up a requisition for a whole variety of blood tests first. Heavy metals, vitamin levels, inflammatory markers, and so on. There are a few viruses that can cause neuromuscular issues as well.

It sounds like you are getting excellent care so far. I hope your neuro appointment is both helpful and will help ease your mind about ALS.

I truly thank you both from the bottom of my heart, you are wonderful beautiful people and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Truly. I will only ask if the forearm tightness which is also weakness and leg weakness are not signs? I see a lot of the posts mention clinical weakness, what exactly is clinical weakness?Thank you again, both of you. May god bless you inifinitely.

Clinical weakness can only be assessed by a medical professional. Perceived weakness, by you, is not clinical weakness. Once you are examined by the neuro, she/he will let you know if you have clinical weakness.

Thank you for the blessing prayer.

Let us know after you see the neuro.

My husband never ‘felt’ weak, even when he could no longer move his arm. It’s an important distinction. Feeling weak or feeling forearm tightness absolutely point away from ALS. ALS weakness is unable to complete a task, buttoning your shirt, for example, NOT feeling muscle fatigue. It’s difficult to understand if you haven’t experienced it. As Kim said, only a doc can diagnose clinical weakness.
Tracy

Update:

Called the doctor to get a copy of my EMG. This was taken in October, 4 months before the extremity weakness I am experiencing now and other symptoms? Would this show 4 months ago if I had ALS and is this a “clean” EMG? The nerve conduction sight would not answer questions. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 1B197B76-EE55-4D33-982F-4D03FD1D637A.jpg
    1B197B76-EE55-4D33-982F-4D03FD1D637A.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 56A92BF8-8263-4577-A594-21610DD95BD4.jpg
    56A92BF8-8263-4577-A594-21610DD95BD4.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 231
  • CE17C7ED-5761-4253-B27B-E4C10F66A121.jpg
    CE17C7ED-5761-4253-B27B-E4C10F66A121.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 266
My husband's EMG shows signs of ALS in his right leg and right forearm. To date he has had no symptoms of ALS in those extremities. It is his left leg that has lost its function. Before completely losing function in his left leg, his EMG showed signs of ALS. That's how far in advance an EMG can pick up issues.

To reiterate what's already been said, my husband's left leg doesn't feel weak, or tired. He cannot move it and it does not work. The initial reason he went for his very first EMG was because he could no longer run. His left foot just stopped going from heel to toe in a running motion. Never once did it feel weak. He has never regained use of his left leg. He now walks with a brace and cane. He has never had a normal EMG or clinical exam.

Just left my meeting with the chief of neurology at FT Campbell. While I didn’t ask if he had experience with ALS, I told him my symptoms and fears and he laughed. He did some clinical strength tests and looked over my EMG from october and said I have zero true signs and I’m 26. No concerns here. There is an issue in my spine but non related. Thank you for the advice and your time. I will politely disappear and let you all be free of my worrying and waste of a thread. I apologize for making an undeserved appearance. God bless you all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back