Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I do not wish to waste anyone's time, but I keep bouncing between terrified, angry at myself, to deciding I'm fine. I'll try to keep it short. I'm a 39 year old male who up until two years ago had no medical issues to speak of.

I'm going to sound like a hypochondriac and I'm starting to think maybe that's what I've become in a mid-life crisis of some sort. About a year ago I had a colon cancer scare that turned out to be nothing. Shortly after that I started developing a ton of eye floaters out of nowhere. Went to two eye doctors who both told me my eyes were fine.

A month after the floaters I got a cold that I thought turned into a sinus infection. Went through two rounds of antibiotics and the headaches got very bad. After two months with the ENT he said he believed the problem to be TMJ pain. Treated that at the dentist and oral surgeon - four months later it is quite a bit better.

That's really background on my question. In February I was convinced that the headaches were too strong to just be TMJ, so I talked to my primary and decided to get a head CT. Two days before the CT I was sitting down and noticed that my calves were twitching. Not painful at all, but just constantly twitching. I did what most do and googled it and got worried about something completely different. This could have been going on longer, but I hadn't noticed.

The CT came back fine showing nothing. The calf twitching has not stopped for what will be 5 months soon. I also have small twitches elsewhere off and on. Near my elbow twitches mainly at night. I also get bicep, thigh, feet, and a rare eye twitch. Everything but my calves is occasional and movement will make it stop.

My calves are both very sore now (and hamstrings). Basically all day. I have no weakness and have no physical limitations. Running, walking, completed a small construction project a few weeks ago. The twitching is really bad at night and wakes me up early in the morning. I have less pain and sleep better after taking a muscle relaxer, but I don't know if that's resting my muscles or my overactive brain.

To my question. I mentioned all the other odd medical visits at the beginning because I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac. I mentioned the twitching after the CT scan to my doctor and he said it's likely anxiety and will go away - which it hasn't. I feel like I need to just forget about this and move on, but can't.

Should someone in my position try to get an EMG? Do I see a neurologist? All I read is that twitching alone isn't cause for concern, but five months seems like a long time.

Thank you again for reading and any thoughts you have for me.

If you'll read the Sticky titled READ BEFORE POSTING you'll see that twitching means nothing.

Everyone twitches, some more than others.

You've got nothing that should be of concern for ALS. I wouldn't even worry about an EMG. Unless, of course, you're a masochist.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I am grateful you would take the time to read and respond to my post. I have tried hard not to post and finally gave in today. I keep hoping the twitches will stop and I do everything I can to ignore them. The calf pain has made that more difficult and I can really feel the twitches at night/morning. I keep getting random twitches in new places for a second or two and that sends me into another spiral.

Thank you again and sorry to have taken anyone's time by posting a thread that is in the sticky.

RLS (restless leg syndrome) can manifest in the arms as well and can cause pain. Ask your internist about a trial of a drug that treats this condition. Or start with basics: make sure your environment in bed is optimal temperature-wise, check your diet for B12, Mg and iron, and use magnesium lotion sparingly on muscles that twitch before you go to bed.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you very much for the advice! I do have restless leg syndrome. I'll mention this to my doctor.

One more thing I didn't mention. A few months ago I placed an ice pack on my calf because it was sore. After icing the calf for about 10 minutes I noticed that the twitches increased dramatically. Does that mean anything? I've read conflicting information (which I know I shouldn't do). Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back