Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
City
Providence
I am a 38 yo female in relatively good health who has been experiencing odd symptoms for nearly a year.

My first and most distressing symptom is a loss of balance. I can no longer shower standing up for fear of falling and in my daily life I find myself grabbing onto things to hold myself up. I have developed fasciculations all over my body, including my tongue. Other things that have emerged: an awkward gait that comes and goes, cramping in fingers, trouble swallowing, trouble projecting my voice. I have muscle aches, often in my legs and back (I don’t exercise much or work these muscles very hard).

I see a Neurologist for possible migraine and my last neurological exam in May was normal. I feel these symptoms have gotten worse over the last few months and I see the doctor for a follow up in two days. I guess I’m afraid to bring these other symptoms up to him because of what it might be.

I have not shared my symptoms or fears with anyone in my life. I don’t want to worry them if it turns out to be nothing. But it doesn’t feel like nothing. It is affecting my life in a profound way. Any insight is appreciated - are my symptoms worth this much worry? I appreciate you all and the time you take to help others on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all of course you should tell your doctor your symptoms. It doesn’t sound like ALS to me but the only way a doctor can give you the proper care is if you tell them. And tell them upfront when they are taking your history not after the exam which people do sometimes when they are worried

There are a gazillion things between nothing and ALS. Most of them curable or at least very treatable. Don’t let your fear stop you from getting good care

Thanks so much. Good advice. I’m not helping anything by delaying getting the care I need, regardless of what I’m dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back