Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
NS
City
Sydney
So, I know this may be a long shot, but my anxiety is slowly eating away. I have yet to see a neurologist, and wait times are very long in my area. I know this can’t be looked at very seriously without any EMG testing, but I’m just wondering if anyone out there could tell me if this sounds even plausible.

I’m a 26 year old male, fairly healthy before the onset of some of these symptoms. I would say my first symptom was unprovoked numbness in my left foot, then in the following week, twitching in both feet, and my calves. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, the twitching had taken over my whole body, anywhere from my feet , legs, arms , shoulders, and even my jaw. These twitches would last maybe 10-30 minutes in an area, and then start again in another area shortly after. I then started to notice severe exhaustion in my legs after otherwise normal and routine exercise. I have seen a GP, and had bloodwork done for all nutrients, thyroid, blood sugar, RA factor, and specialized immune disease testing such as MG , all coming back fine. Also had a negative MRI to rule out MS. Roughly a month after, I noticed severe fatigue in my arms, even washing my hair could make them feel numb. I feel my strength is still there, but my muscle endurance is completely gone, and I do feel frail. It’s now been roughly 9 months since these symptoms first appeared, and I’ve been on a list to see a neurologist for about 7 months, with no luck yet. Anxiety has taken over, as the twitching still persists, and the fatigue aspect (more so than “weakness”) has gotten worse. I’ve noticed when I flex muscles, they tend to quiver, as if there’s not enough strength to keep them fully flexed, and am now developing hand tremors. I should also add that my grip strength was tested last month, and noted to be “great”.

Sorry for the long post, and if you’ve read this far I appreciate it. I hope to have not wasted anyone’s time, but the wait for any confirmation has been eating away at me. Does this sound like it could be ALS at all, or am I just fearing the worst?

The great news is that this isn't how ALS presents. I hope they find the cause soon, but you don't belong here at all.

No and yes. If your GP is not up for further investigations, I don't know if a wait for a rheumatologist might be shorter. But I don't see any reason to suspect ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back