Lithium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results of Patients Like Me trial for lithium

The results of a large patient-run lithium trial for lithium as an ALS therapy indicated no benefit after 6 months but did note some adverse affects. Personally, I took lithium from January to September last year and kept monthly records of my ALSFRS scores and observed no slowing of my progression from my pre-lithium period but did have adverse gastrointestinal side effects.

Here is a copy of the study's submission last month to the New England Journal of Medicine for inclusion as a "Letter".

To the Editor, In Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease) motor neurons die, leaving the patient progressively unable to move, speak, eat, or breathe. A small clinical trial indicated that lithium combined with riluzole slowed ALS progression1. A number of patients began taking lithium to quantitatively track the progression of ALS. A focus of the effort was making data and graphs publically available in real time. We found that lithium does not slow ALS progression but does produce side effects in about 49% of patients, with severe side effects in 12%.

Patients took lithium under a doctor’s supervision and were asked to report their ALS Functional Rating Score - Revised, or ALSFRS-R2 monthly for six months. 60% of the patients opted to take lithium and riluzole, while 40% took only lithium. Of the 191 patients who started the study, 71 stopped taking lithium because of side effects or faster progression. Of the patients remaining on lithium 110 were still reporting data at 3 months and 50 at 6 months. 37 of the patients who stopped lithium reported scores at six months. 63 patients from the group who did not take lithium were used as controls. The study and control populations were very similar (mean ages differed by only 0.2 years, mean loss rate of ALSFRS-R by 7%). The study group had more men (82% vs 59%), but no difference in progression rates was seen as a function of gender in either group.At least 7 patients passed away and at least 3 went on ventilators. Patients who remained on lithium progressed at the same rate as controls (Figure 1). Patients who stopped lithium reported a faster progression, indicating that lithium may have worsened their disease prompting the discontinuation. No difference in progression was seen as a function of lithium blood level, initial ALSFRS-R score, or riluzole usage. Common side effects included weakness, increased urination, increased fasciculations, headache, fatigue, and nausea. 16 patients reported positive effects of relief from severe cramping, fasciculations, spasticity, and depression.

A study of this nature would be expected to have positive bias as sicker patients are less likely to continue reporting and there is no placebo control. Thus the finding of a negative result is compelling.

Karen Felzer, caregiver
Humberto Macedo, patient

References
1. Fornai F, Longone P, Cafaro L, et al., Lithium delays progression of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci 2008; 105:2052-2057.
2. Cedarbaum JM, Stambler N, Malta E., et al., The ALSFRS-R scale: A revised ALS functional rating scale that incorporates assessments of respiratory function. BDNF ALS Study group (Phase III). J. Neurol. Sci 1999; 169:13-21.

Last edited by a moderator:
remig:

Thank you for your posts. What is your take on the possible relationship between statins and ALS onset or progression, considering you identify statins as autophagy agents?

Remig, I would ask that you be very careful in your wording of recommending or suggesting therapies or treatments. Obviously ptich got the idea you were recommending something. We don't want any misunderstandings with your credentials or theories.

AL.

lithium

hello mandles,

i've been on lithium for the past 6m. i got it no prob from my neurologist and then my GP. for first 3m my GP monitored my bloods until Li levels stabilised. now monthly monitoring. not sure about any guidelines when to eat or not; they're slow release tabs if that makes any difference.

and now for the 'big question'; does it work? who knows? it's not a cure or reversal, just slows things down. i haven't noticed a slowing - i'm a 'fast progressor'. i also take rilutek.

hope this of some use. feel free to ask questions.

ellie.

One study in Canada found statin drugs to accelerate progression of symptoms in ALS patients. I don't think they're as good as some would have you believe.

AL.

hello everybody
this is the first time i write in this forum.
there are a lot of discussions about lithium, but there are even a lot of nonunderstood things from the people who did participate to the lithiumstudy in atspace last year.
if the regulation of the body is not open, the lithiumcarbonat does not reach the CNS(brain)....
but gets absorbed by other organs...
then pushes the potasium and natrium salts away and makes trouble with the water-salt-level of the body...

here is a link from the doctor who did write about it in the past and it helps even for trusting a bit more in it.

bye renzo
there is part2 as well in this document....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Renzo. I removed the link because we don't allow advertising here. That guy is just using his theories to sell low grade Lithium. Sorry.

AL.

My husband was diagnosed in Oct. 2008, started Rilutek at that time. He just started Lithium 2 weeks ago. We were told there is a drug trial coming up in February, has anyone heard anything about that?

Hi thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I'm really grateful to have received some answers from people who have tried it. This seems to be one of the few places where I can get some truth. Thanks so much

My husband was diagnosed in Oct. 2008, started Rilutek at that time. He just started Lithium 2 weeks ago. We were told there is a drug trial coming up in February, has anyone heard anything about that?

It is called "Talampanel" I was excluded as I do not have UMN. I do show that my left arm is getting weaker. It is to be "like" Riluzole type drug. But being involved in the clinic study, it would be so hard for my husband and I to go back and forth every 6 wks and still go for my regular visits. If we lived in Van. I would be more opt to do it. Why not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back