Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be going to the clinic on Mar. 4 to get it. Heard through the grapvine a dozen people are on it.
AL.

thanks!
what is the difference between an "inducer" and a 'coinducer"?

I won't guarantee this is correct but my understanding is that a coinducer promotes the production of and an inducer causes the production of. Again I can't find sources to confirm that but I got that idea from somewhere. Just FYI aspirin is a HSP70 inducer as well.

Hey Jeff...i need your help!
I was just entering my credit card info on your 'send me all your money link' and it crashed! Do you have a new link? :)
on a more serious note...am going in tomorrow to our ALS clinic for my first major assessment...got my diagnosed Feb 1/08.....am going to be asking about lithium as my prescription for Rilutek just went thru...should have it in the next few days...will post what they say
The ALS Assoc. folks up here are really on it....spoke to me 2 days after the lithium report broke to suggest it as a possibility.
Not sure what the system up here will be re reporting,etc but will update as I know.
Appreciate all the info you post
Tks!
Rick

Lithiumresults

hi Kevin from Calgary,have been diagnosed withals since june 07,have been on the lithium and the ritulek for almost a month now,no bad side effects to report and i do feel that i am not as tired.My speech is gone now but evrything else works ,so i figured if vthis new combo of meds can keep me walking and doing the physical things i like to do ,its worht the try.Good luck to ..kevin

serenity lithium

Not having a Dr who would prescribe lithium, what harm would there be to try a low over the counter dose? I am thinking at least it is some lithium.
Joanne:)

Joanne - please remember that anyone taking Lithium needs to have blood monitoring.
VERY IMPORTANT.

Sharonca

I am taking lithium 150 mg twice daily, and actos 15 mg 2Xd, for a month now.
This was doubled from 150 mg of lithium 1XD and 15mg actos 1Xd for a month before that.
I have a blood test coming up next week.
I have no side effects. Nor any improvement. In fact I feel no effects one way or the other.

I tried lithium for 3-4 months with blood levels of 0.5. I found no change in progression although this is always hard to assess. I continued with progressive weakness and now my diaphragm and intercostal muscles have been affected with resulting shortness of breath with exercise -- quite scary. I would be interested in hearing others experience with respiratory involvement.

Mark

I began Lithium in February '08, though my neurologist was a leading voice opposing Li.

In April, my FVC measured 67% (was 100% in Nov). I wanted to blame the heavy pollen, but in May the pollen cleared, yet my breathing remained shallow. By then, I was up to 900mg/day Li and my blood finally hit the target level, but due to continued shortness of breath I quit Li.

I now use the biPap at night--it helps a lot. I continue to atrophy in the limbs. Walking, standing and climbing stairs is limited by back and neck weakness, but I can still ride my recumbent bicycle--its done wonders for my mobility and independence.

The breathing difficulties were preceded by cramping in the abdomen whenever I coughed or sneezed. Breathing may have stabilized once I stopped Lithium--hard to say for sure. For me, the whole deal started in March '05 in the same way I've seen a lot of PALS report lately: My left thenar (thumb) muscle disintegrated, turning the big fleshy part of the palm at the base of the thumb into a sunken depression.

I am supposed to be using a bipap machine but after 4 1/2 months I have not been able to find a mask that works without causing skin breakdown on my nose. Fortunately I changed to a different sleep lab where they're willing to work with me the previous one gave up because they didn't stock other masks. A friend and contributor to this forum recommended a full face mask which we may try. Like you, the few times I have tried it through the night to machine seems to improve my breathing.

Mark

Try "hybrid" mask

Hi Mark - I've been on the bipap for 3 months now. I also had problems with the skin on my nose.
It was truly awful. Went to what is called a "hybrid" mask that covers my mouth and has two
"pillows" (little flared tubes) that go up to my nose. Completely solved my problem. Don't know
if your provider can get one, mine had to shop around a bit but was willing to. Took my nose
about a month to heal. Not sure what my colleagues and students thought of it.

Hope this helps
Dan

Thanks Dan. I did try the mask with nasal pillows. We could not get them to stay in place correctly so we gave up on that one. The lab I am working with has another one to try or possibly two. One of them is a Total face mask which does not press on the nose. I don't know how the airflow might affect the eyes but I am desperate for a solution after all these months.

M a rk

Hope the full face mask works

Mark - sorry the pillows didn't work. Hope the full face mask does. Seems a very
personal tricky business to get the right one.
Good luck
Dan

Thanks Dan.

I was also wondering whether anyone has had any experience with or comments about acupuncture for our condition or is it more snake oil?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back