Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
NC
City
Durham
It looks like the discussion thread on Lithium ended in 2012. We recently heard from a researcher that Lithium could be helpful for its anti- inflammatory properties and possible nerve regeneration, with minimal side effects. Is anyone currently taking Lithium? If so, what has been your experience?

Can you identify the researcher? Or at least the institution? Curious as lithium previously failed clinical trials. Are they looking at it for a particular subset of patients?

It was wildly popular because of an Italian study that showed improvement. It was worth experimenting with because the possible benefits were great and the risk was low.

pie in the sky. many, many pals tried it outside of the clinical trials. the dosage was known and doctors were scripting it off label. my husband did it too. No one was able to replicate the Italian study.

This was shared by a research pediatric oncologist who specializes in stem cell transplants. She was talking about research she was familiar with of how Lithium was helpful in stimulating growth of cells and that it was studied in spinal cord injuries. She was not speaking from ALS research. When we asked our neurologist, he was not in favor of taking Lithium.

Barbie- did your husband find any benefit to taking it?

Thanks- Donna

Donna, I will try to remember the details--it was 2007 or 08 as I recall. this was an ALS study that was done in Italy--they claimed that low doses of Lithium was reversing ALS. (stimulating nerve growth I think) the does was so much lower than the dose used for mental health issues that it was not dangerous at all.our neuro at Mayo scripted it--it was the hot thing with Pals at the time!

I think my pals stayed on it 6-9 months, and only continued to decline, as did all the other pals self testing with Lithium. there was a big group on patients just like me and a self reporting spread sheet. this was VERY big and popular--so many had hope. Did it have any affect on his still slow progression? I don't know. but we contribute his long life as a pals to "it is what it is", and do not think the Lithium had any benefit or drawback to it.

What does your doctor say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back