Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Kootenay
I asked Mom today, "you have been on Lithium for almost 4 weeks have you noticed any difference?"
expecting an answer like, I don't seem any weaker, she said "You know it's funny you should ask that, I could move my 2 fingers, and I think I moved a finger on this hand."
as she looked down at it sitting so still on her lap. Then she gave me her big smile and I said "That's awesome!"
Is it not wonderful to have one little tiny movement make you feel so good. It is because it makes you excited that to day was truly a good day. Who can do any thing about tomorrow. Today we think Lithium, be it psychological or physical. It made today a lot better in a little way!
Have a great day.

northerngirl!

That is fantastic! I'm so excited for you and your Mom!

It's funny that some on the outside looking in think WOW! so you can move your finger and you couldn't before. BIG DEAL They are expecting PALS to rise from wheel chairs like Lazarus from the dead! :roll: Yet we treasure these small improvements, not even improvements, but a plateau would be wonderful!

Please keep us informed! :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else - Do Effects of Lithium (?) change over time

I have had some apparently positive effects from 3 weeks on Lithium, but they are not consistant. Easier time sitting and standing, as witnessed by my wife who does all the lifts and transfers, but it varies from day to day. Some days very good ( wow- I could probably walk ) to very bad ( wow - almost fell down and took wife with me ). Does anyone else notice these variability issues? For those on Lithium longer, do they even out, or is this all too ssoon to tell?

Roy - - JustMe

Hey Roy!

I talked to my husband last night about how he was feeling and he said he had increased fasciculations and was feeling very fatigued. Today he feels great and his voice is still clearer. So I guess it is probably too soon to tell.

Good luck to you and I hope the Lithium will continue to provide PALS with relief from symptoms, even just a little bit!

Hmmmmm, Mom did not sleep very good at all last night, so to day she was a bag of jello. and an sad one. I had her over for the whole afternoon and holly cow my house is not designed well for wheelchairs and transfers. I had help getting he up the curved stairs, but the bathrooms and low sofas were tough and my bed at nap time was too high I had to get a stool for her. She does not like her new wheel chair. So lots of transfering.
She gets her Bipap tomorrow so I hope it helps. she get so hot in the head, ( I mean her head gets hot) from the CO2 I am sure it makes her feel like crap.
Any way it was a tough day but it was good to get her out of the house and give Dad a little break.
looking forward to tomorrow.

Is your Mum seeing any difference now with lithium. My husband started on it a few days ago and just wondering. Was it a good day when she thought there was a little movement?/

Hey Sue....a fellow Winnipeger :)
My husband was diagnosed Feb 1/2008. He has been on lithium and rilotex for a week now. It is too early to notice changes. But on the positive side no side effects except perhaps a bit more tired than usual. Don't know if it is the drugs or the ALS.

Joan

I asked Mom today, "you have been on Lithium for almost 4 weeks have you noticed any difference?"
expecting an answer like, I don't seem any weaker, she said "You know it's funny you should ask that, I could move my 2 fingers, and I think I moved a finger on this hand."
as she looked down at it sitting so still on her lap. Then she gave me her big smile and I said "That's awesome!"

woah, that is so awesome. that really gave me hope.
my father has just started taking lithium, and i was
really worried anout the side effects. that just gave
me a totaly different atitude. thanks :)

-Carly

Lithium question

My brother-in-law is in his fourth year with ALS. The ALS clinic he goes to is starting a trial with lithium, but was told he could not participate because he was diagnosed more than three years ago. Does anyone know if lithium could possibly still be beneficial for him to take. Anyone here taking lithium that was diagnosed more than 3 years ago?

I was diagnosed in Oct. 03 and have been on Lithium 3 weeks now. I got mine from my ALS Clinic. If they would not have given it my GP would have. Trial results be dammed, if it might help me I want it.
AL.

Al,
Been meaning to ask seen any changes since lithium. I know it is early, just wishful thinking I guess. Also who cares about stats, if we can get help so be it

My hands are weaker but strangely, I haven't been able to get off commode chair without help for a good 6 weeks. The last week I have needed very little or no help. Very strange. Maybe it helps the big muscles first? Or is it just some plateau thing. Maybe time will tell. Here's hoping.
AL.

Your not kidding my friend, here's HOPING, We all need to get better and have the biggest party every. We sure gotta hold on for hope, anything is possible..

Hey Al & all
I agree....I'll be damned if I will wait 2 years for them to figure out what spread sheet to use for the study!
A person has to do their own research and feel good about it....but at the cost of lithium.....Thank God it is cheap!...and if there are no effects (every one is different - some may react poorly to it) ...who wouldn't try it?
I am early into this and have only been on the lithium 10 days...no difference yet but no side effects either....just waiting on first blood work to see where the levels are. I will adjust accordingly
Glad to be able to hear how its going for all of us.....
Rick

I have been wanting to comment that I really like your picture. You both look like you love each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back