Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
GA
City
Mableton
Could someone explain to me how exactly the lite writer works? I think I could use one from what I've already heard, but I figured someone here could tell me more about it.
Thanks, Rhonda

Hi,i Had Litriter. Very Inconvenient For Me. Person Readingg What U Type Must Sit Opposite U. Display Only Shows Few Words At A Time.and Th Vrbal Was Just Too Wierd.
It Was Also A Little Heavy After A While.
I Used It Nly When I First Got It. As Muscles Weakened It Really Didnt Work For Me.
If U Have Computer Try E-triloquist Very Easy And Convenient.
I Know Litewriters Expensive. But I Think Really Made For More Reg People Who Cant Speak.
Good Luck

There's one for sale in the sales area. You could contact them and get some answers. AL.

I Bought Mine On Ebay From Pals. They Too Used It Briefly. If U R Determined To Get One See If U Can Try Before U Buy.all The Press And Photos Look Great.
Most Spech Therapists Only Have Printed Info.
Just Trying To Be Helpful..............

That's why I suggested contacting the seller in our used equipment section. I'm sure they have used it and have an idea whether it would be useful for you. AL.

From what I've heard on other ALS forums, the lite writer is a poor choice. No firsthand experience with it though.

Okay, I'll defend the Lightwriter.

My dad has one, and he's also used a Dynawriter.

What we liked about the Lightwriter, that the Dynawriter lacked.
- Small. A keyboard and 2 LCD screens.... less to carry around than the Dyna.
- Two screens. One for dad to view whilst typing, and one pointing towards his partner.
That was the main benefit of it. He wouldn't always have to press the Speak button, as the listener, I'd be reading as he was typing. And lately as his typing has gone downhill, it's the best way to do it.... you can understand what he wants to say even with spelling mistakes.

The Dynawriter had things like being able to connect to telephones, more memory and a good number of tricks that to be honest my dad wasn't going to use. But the single screen turned out to be the killer failing of it.

A single line screen on the Lightwriter was not much of a problem. The machine is for carrying on a conversation, not writing essays.

Cost? Well, we avoided that issue. It is on loan to us from the local MND association, for which we are very grateful.

I looked at the possibility of using a Windows Laptop. There is good speech software and voices available, but small laptops that my dad can comfortably carry around just don't have loud enough speakers. You need a bit of volume.

Finally, a small whiteboard, markers and tissues works pretty well too.
My dad's eyesight is failing. His eyelids droop, which is an effect of using morphine. And so his typing starting to fail. He just types even though he can't see what he is producing, often producing gibberish, which he finds embarrassing. So lately he has reverted back to the whiteboard where his lettering is correct even with eyes closed.

So. There.

I'm not as well versed on these machines as maybe I should be but can you add programs to the Lightwriter? I have a word prediction program on my computer called Word Q that will pop up words that it thinks I am going to type once I type a letter or series of letters. It has voice as well and will say out loud what word I just typed and then repeat the whole sentence when you hit the period. If you could add it to your dad's machine it would probably help. AL.

I think the Dynawriters have prediction.
The Litewriter seems a bit older and simpler. It has standard DEC voices that are clear, but a bit robotic. The machine has done it's job well for a year, but now things have just progressed to a point where it's time is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back