Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
NM
City
Rio Rancho
My wife has PBP and had her PED installed in November. She was encouraged to use it to supplement her regular diet. She then became a fan of Eric (author of "Eric is Winning") and decided to switch to an entirely organic diet, distilled water, whole foods, the works. After a while she wanted to have the PED removed but I was able to persuade her this would not be a good idea. As she progressed with the organic diet, she found that the liquid diet (Ensure high calorie) did not agree with her. She believes the preservatives and high sugar cause her to have an adverse physical reaction. So she refuses to even consider the liquid diets. She continues to make her own smoothies with goats milk, avocados, tofu, nut butters, coconut milk, whey protein, etc. She drinks them as well as eats eggs and regular food.

My question is are there any "organic" liquid diets that she can eat through her PEG? We are taking a road trip in July and it would be nice to have something she can eat in the car that doesn't require a blender to prepare.

Hi Mike, a lot of us just use a good blender and make our own food. With a good blender you can do any food you want, just add a bit of water to make sure it is liquid enough to go through the PEG.

Mike,

I remember freddiesnetty (who was the CALS of her husband) saying she made all of the food that went into Freddie's PEG. They did not use prepared formula.

As far as for travel, if you freeze a batch of puree in an icecube tray, then you could pop out them out and store in a ziptop plastic bag. I think that you can still buy baby bottle warmers that plug into the cigarette lighter of the car, or even look at a camping supply store for a warmer that works with the car battery. This way you could thaw out small amounts at a time.

A good cooler (even a styrofoam one) using those "blue ice' blocks would keep puree cubes frozen for many days.

good luck to you.

Thanks for the positive suggestions. The ice tray idea is wonderful. Your support is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back