Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
FL
City
Hollywood
My fiancee was diagnosed on April 30 2012 with ALS. It was a torture during the tests and a torture after the diagnosis. I live a constant uncertanty. His behavior has changed, and changes constantely. I want to be understanding, but everywhere I move there is pain. His family wants to have the "docs" ready, and I feel I am in a limbo with lots of responsability, compasion, and dedication to him. My kids from my previous marriage are very concerned about my mental health. He still moves and drives, and he is eating, the problem is his speech and losing weight. Doctor said that his type is slow. Lately, I found him going to the internet in the dating sites. I told him that hurts me and our relationship, and I suggested to delete his profile, and he did it but he cried a lot. I go to work and feed him at lunch, but in the afternoon he goes to the movies almost every day. I wonder if he goes with somebody from the internet! I am getting lost in this situation.

I'm sorry about your fiancee. Are you referring to documents?
His family wants to have the "docs" ready
If so, that is a good thing.

As for his behavior, you may want to check out the forum on this site regarding FTD. If this behavior is out of the norm, then please read all you can about dementia and ALS.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/als-ftd/

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the documents.

Tomorrow will go to an attorney to make them official. It is so hard.

** off topic deleted **

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about the last post. FTD does have inappropriate sexual actions involved in some cases.

Thank you for your help!

Moderator David, please note this above reply from beanfarmer. He is writing his book here on our forum. According to past
protocol he would be removed from us. Please consider and act, if you will. :)

O.M.G. So sorry Fiancee, your post got hijacked. please do not judge this forum by one crazy.

If belief in God is crazy then I'm insane. That was not from my book but just something I wrote. I was just trying to be helpful. I plan on publishing it later in an ebook, but it will probably not sell.

I have to say that though your post makes some points, I think it more than a bit inappropriate for the topic at hand.

A) the topic at hand was not pedophilia or homosexuality, it was about about 2 people dealing with a devasting disease, and possibly FTD on top of the ALS.

B) There is a Christian thread, so if you want to talk specifically about your beliefs and quote the Bible, that would be more appropriate to do so there. While most of us are probably Christians, there are a good number of members who are not, and this forum isn't about preaching to each other – its about helping each other get through this.

C) I always find it odd when someone cuts an pastes a very long rhetoric about something, especially on their first few posts. You'd have more "backing" for lack of a better word, if you introduced yourself to the forum first, and then started "preaching" to us later on. Since you haven't been here long, you may not realize that we've already been burned by someone writing so-called "book" that was nothing more than hijacking a lot of our members' posts, photos and all.

Trying to be helpful is good, but unwanted advice is just that... so please consider that when replying to someone's pain.

Helen swoops in, wearing her SuperGirl cape!

Thanks, Helen!

Yess Thank you Helen. That is how I felt. Point ABC!

another..nut job.......getting his perverted kicks on here...and in the name of god to justify......whats going on.........johnny..

I there a full moon out there tonight? sheesh

Fiancee, I am sorry you have to deal with all of this. Diagnosis is hard and now with his change in behaviour it is harder. I hope you don't think I am off my rocker for suggesting this but maybe he is frequenting these dating sites because he wasnt to know he is desirable to other women. Not that your not treating him like he is desireable but with ALS he will be looseing a lot of things, from speach to mobility and beyond. That in itself is hard to adjust to, and someday down the road he knows he might be in a wheel chair, not able to flirt with you, not able to say he loves you. I am hoping this is just a phase for him and he comes back to you fully. Talk to him, try to undestand... I know its difficult and it hurts but somtimes we don't understand the actions of our PAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back