josh88

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Good morning all,

I will preface that I appreciate the high volume of questions that come here. I write as a sort of last resort because of my confusion after reading other sites and seeming being unable to trace my particular experience.

My question has to do with understanding muscle spasticity and weakness. I began experiencing all-over fasciculations in January which I realize is not particular cause for concern. Around March, left hand trembling began to present in such a way that bending the thumb would cause it to shake for a few seconds before coming to rest. Scrolling on my phone became more tedious, but again, the movement wasn’t impossible. Throughout, I perceived my arm to feel a bit off but thought it to be anxiety.

Over the last three to four weeks, I’ve noticed that, while the movement is still not impossible, elbow flexion at certain angles is not fluid and is interrupted by whatever you would call the opposite of fluid (in other words, the arm visibly “jitters” during movement like it’s “grinding” during movement). It seems to interrupt some common movements like putting the arm out the car window, or placing a cup down because of the elbow flexion involved. Admittedly my anxiety has increased, although now I’m experiencing dull pain or a feeling of “unrest” in the arm, primary in the tricep and forearm. It is worse in the left arm but presents a bit in the right arm. Fasciculations did not originally begin in the left arm.

So my questions are mainly if I am totally off the mark with ALS considerations, and/or how arm stiffness presents in routine ALS onset (is it always decreased dexterity with fine hand movements?)

Best,
Josh

Go see a doctor. Stiffness in the ALS context is code for spasticity which is easily detected on physical exam. To me it doesn’t sound like you are describing it but no one can tell you without examining you. There are also other causes of spasticity - more common and benign than ALS

spasticity is an upper motor neuron signs weakness is primarily lower motor neuron. People with ALS have both though one may predominate in the beginning

You don't mention a doctor examination at all?
Surely you have consulted a doctor, been examined and had advice given on your particular issues?

No matter what you read elsewhere, the post I'm linking to is our offical position. This was written in great detail to assist you and so that our terminally ill, paralysed members, don't need to keep answering the same thing. It's really well worth a good read. Then what you can do, is compare what you are experiencing, what you read elsewhere and what this post says. If your other reading and symptoms don't match anything of concern in our post, you are not 'the exception', you are not 'a unique case', you simply don't match ALS presentation.

I'm sure you know deep down you have no reason to be concerned about ALS. Please see a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back