Lightwriters/ communication aids any info please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeMichelle

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
0/0000
Country
UK
City
London
Hi
I wonder at what stage do aids such as lightwriters become useful? My Dad has PBP type symptoms though no final diagnosis. His speech is quite unclear and he often writes things down in shops. More recently he's stopped using the phone pretty much. Although he's also brave and independent around this speech loss. Would a lightwriter hinder or help, his speech seems to be deteriorating fast?
:confused:
Thanks for reading.
Dee

Dynawrite

Hi Kevin from Calgary,Dx in june 07,speech is pretty well toast,I got a speech device,small little laptop called a dynawrite from dynavox technologies ,i type and it speaks,I use it a fair bit as well as pad and paper.Works well in small groups and one on one.The unit i got was 6000 dollars which the government paid for all but 500 i had to pay.Not sure what coverage you guys have down south of the border.Your ALS clinic would know where to go,but feel its a big help for me in the communication department.Hope this is of some good advice.Anyways good luck and keep the faith

Hi Thanks for your reply. Dad got offered a Light-writer, which is similar to what you describe. In the UK these cost around £2000, but he got offered it for free under our National Health Service. However, Dad decided against the light-writer- he cuts up small cards from cereal boxes; some he pre-writes and others he writes when he needs them and he prefers his own creative method. It's kept him independent and I think it takes guts to go into a shop and get what you want with very little audible speech! One thing in his favour is he is fantastic at spelling not something I inherited.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Best Wishes
Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back