Lifts for people affected by ALS and MND

Status
Not open for further replies.

terri

Distinguished member
I have another question.

LB has just had his second fall this weekend. The first time our son was here and he helped me get him up.

The second time it was just me and we had a tough time. LB can not bend his right leg enough to get on his knees. We have to come up from a sitting position.

His arm strength is enough that we eventually made it but I'm concerned about the next time should it happen again.

Has anyone had this problem and come up with a easy way off the floor?

Thanks.
Terri

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try to explain what may be helpful. For safety reasons we have a mat, it is like a gymn mat with cushion so if a fall does happen it may be easier to help someone over to the mat this way the mat protects from injury. Then proceed to lift up with help.

Hope.

Hi Terri. I don't know whether you are in a big city or a small town or rural area.

I did 33 years on a fire dept in a city with 100,000 people when I started to 500,000 when I retired and we used to get quite a few calls from people that had fallen and couldn't get up.

If it happens and you need help call Fire, 911, or whatever your area uses but the fire deptarment is there to help.

They don't mind if is an occasional thing but if it happens 3 or 4 times a week then they might suggest other arrangements be made but for the most part if you have a problem they are the ones to call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terri, I think a bigger problem is the risk he is running of doing serious injury or death by falling. If he is falling as frequently as once a week, I would suggest he should not be walking at all. Is he using a walker or just a cane? A walker, as dreadful as it is to accept, is a safer alternative to a cane and a scooter of course is much better yet. Then he can use a walker just for exercise and in a safer and more controlled setting.

You will have to forgive me I honestly misunderstood the question. I guess it is one of those days. Sorry.

Sandy.

Thanks for the concern and the suggestions. LB can go for weeks and not fall and then do like he did this past weekend and have several falls. Whenever he walks he has a walker. He uses the cane when he lets go of the walker to sit back down in a chair. Just today he got his Permobile. Yeah! I'm counting on it helping him a lot. He does not want to give up on his legs but I'm afraid its just around the corner. Al, I did think about calling the fire department. If all else fails me, I'll do it.

In the states Medicare will pay for 80% of the power chair. You have to keep insisting and supplying documention from the doctor sometimes to get all the whistles and bells on it that you need but I have found out if you wait them out you can get most. Also, I called a rehab organization and ask them if they would consider paying the 20% that Medicare did not pay in exchange for the chair when we no longer need it. They did! Just a thought for someone else if they are interested.

Hi Terri:
Sometimes you can approach local service organizations to help with part of the cost of equiping your house for diabled persons. We had a stair glider installed at a cost of $8000.00 CDN and installation cost of $1000.00. ALS society covered the cost of the glider which left us with the installation fee. We approached the local Lions club in our small community to cover that ... it might be an approach that you can use down there...
Good Luck

T.

A woman in my sister's support group has a wheelchair (maybe a scooter) and said that it cost $37,000! Is this legit or did the decimal place get moved?

Marcia

I'm not sure what kind she got but it was a lot more than LB's. His is a Permobil C300 with tilt/recline, power elevating legrest and seat height. I've seen fancier ones but this was the most chair Medicare would help us pay for . It was about $22,000. Maybe, she got a lift for her car that would have increased it that much---just a guess.

Hi Guys,

Henry's wheelchair cost about 22,000. It was an incredible chair though. He had foot peddles installed so he could get around really good. He was a speedster though, and we really had to watch him because he moved so darn fast in it! Maybe, a conventional wheelchair that he could just use his feet to get around the house may be an option for a fraction of the cost, or just rent one from your local Red Cross. Falling is a big time concern, I know we had many of them around here and many trips to the ER. It is like watching a baby walk for the first few months. Wobbly and weak, just keep as close an eye on him as you can. Good luck.

Carol Stay Strong

glad to see you here

Hi Carol:

My name is Barb, and I just wanted to say that I was glad to see you are back. I am very sorry for your loss. I had tears in my eyes when I read your tribute to Henry. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I am just starting my journey, as my best friend has just been diagnosed. I have read many of your posts and you seem to be such an incredible woman. I know you will have great advice and support for me along the way, hopefully. Any advice you have now at the beginning stages would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know what to say to her, what not to say and resources I can reach out to. I want to do the best I can to help her husband, children and her through this awful, horrible time. I would also like to know how you coped. What did you do for yourself, to keep you strong? Sometimes, I feel like I want to crawl into a hole and hide and maybe this will go away.
I also live in Ontario (an hour north of Toronto).

anyhow, I am going to see her tomorrow. I can't wait to see her.

bye for now, Barb :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back