Diagnosis
03/2022
Country
NZ
State
AK
City
Auckland
We have a multilevel house - stairs from the garage for the car to the first level where there is a landing and fairly small bedrooms and a bathroom. A new staircase from there has 5 more stairs to our bedroom then 12 more stairs including a 180 degree turn to the upstairs living area. If we put in a full on lift we will make the garage for one car only and need major modifications extending the bedroom and recladding that part of the house. This is coming out really pricey, and will take a lot of time. I know a stair chair is only a short term option and I'd rather avoid that. Is there a platform that will go up the stairs and around a 180 degree corner and take a power wheelchair? Is there a small platform elevator that doesn't take up masses of room (so wouldn't need the extension), and could go to multiple levels?

Thanks in advance for the help. We are in New Zealand, but hopefully there will be the same brands available.

In the US we can call firms that specialize in stairway lifts and vertical platform lifts to talk on the phone. The firms will also come to the house and conduct a free evaluation.
In some areas of the US we have ALS nonprofits that offer home living assessments. We can walk through the home and video the pathways and discuss challenges over the phone.
Split level homes present a unique challenge. We live in a small old colonial with narrow stairways, bedrooms upstairs. We briefly considered a stair lift but it was too complicated due to turns, etc. My husband Tom is downstairs on the main living floor in a den i have set up entirely for him that is close to the full bath. This way he can easily see our family when they visit. We have a long ramp at the front of the house so that he can go out in his wheelchair.

There are many aspects of living in a home that was not designed for a person with disability, and we also need to consider changes in PALS capability over time.

I hope you get the assistance you need. Many people on this forum have faced these challenges.

Hi. I read your post again. You are describing a home with the main living area on the highest floor and the bedrooms below on two levels.
Since the lowest level has a bathroom you may want to consider remodeling the two small bedrooms to create one single room for PALS living area daytime and sleeping.
With ALS we have to think of new and creative ways to use our homes. And this does cause hardship.

You have the option of bypassing all stairs and putting a bruno outdoor lift on your home to the upper living area. This may require a new door and landing deck. This floor would be PALS living area if there is a full bath on this level.
One of the leading firms in the US is
Bruno.
Bruno dot com

Thanks, currently there is only a small toilet and handbasin on the top floor and it would be odd to put the large bathroom there, plus bedrooms downstairs. Think we are just going to have to pay a large amount for the renovation to have a space that works. The challenge is knowing how long before I won't be able to do stairs and how long then before I will have to go into a care home. Fun thoughts

Can you not make the downstairs into your living area and not access the top floor at all if it will be a huge remodel to do so?
My Chris simply could not access parts of our house and so the lounge room became his main living area and bedroom. Obviously that is not a great solution for slow progressing PALS who may live 5-10 years.
The other option is can you sell this place and buy somewhere that is accessible or could be more easily made accessible?

It is very difficult to leave a home you have built memories in. But a single floor home may best since it may not need renovation, and renovation to your home for ALS may decrease its value.
If you can put together a care team and the medical equipment needed to be able to live at home and be cared for at home, that would be a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back