06/2008
Country
US
State
GA
City
Riverdale
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this site. My mother was diagnosed last month with ALS. She is unable to walk without the assistance of her walker. She is already sleeping on the bipap. We are looking at getting her a lift chair, so that she won't have to be lifted up by her arms everyday. She told us that she was starting to get sore. Unfortunately, she doesn't live with us. She lives with her husband and her daughter(and daughter's family). My father-in-law isn't in the best health himself and struggles with lifting her. My sister-in-law does a pretty good job (wrapping her arms around her to lift)--but she works 40 hrs a week and isn't there all day. So, has anyone used this chair---and is it worth it? Any feedback is appreciated.

I have used a lift chair for over a year now and I would not be without it for a minute. It helps so much when transferring to the wheelchair. I am a big man, over 250 lbs. No way my wife can lift me.
I would recommend getting a name brand such as Lazy boy, etc. The warranty is better.
Here is just one of the sites I have looked at that have the lift chairs:
http://www.la-z-boy.com/furniture/catalog.aspx?colid=23
There are many other brands that are just as good. You can probably find some of these in your local furniture store. The medical supply places charge higher prices usually and do not have as good a warranty.

My hubby has one, and we wouldn't be caught without it. Like MT says, it does make it easier for the caregiver and the PALS for transfers. Less stress for both, less chance for injury. You spend a lot of time sitting, and comfort is just as important for sitting as it is when you are sleeping.

Hello,
My husband is 41..the lift chairs have been a god send. We have one in our bedroom and one in our familyroom. Makes lifting him up so much easier. It is amazing how low chairs really are when you are trying to lift someone out of them. We bought one on craigslist..and were given another one. I know that our ALS center in Albany has them in their loan closet...maybe give them a call. Good luck, KR

Thank you guys so much for the feedback!

Don't know how to edit yet...but it should say my mother-in-law---not my mother--- was diagnosed with ALS.

Ask the ALSA/MDA if they have one in their loan closet. They saved me from wasting a lot of money.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back