Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
I want to get my PALS a lift chair or recliner that will help him stand from a sitting position. Does anyone use these? What should I look for?
Is there a superior brand?

Last edited:
Hi Soonerwife I have a Savaria and I am very happy with it. It travels three floors and makes the turns no problem.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I worded that right. I am looking for a chair or recliner that will help stand him up. Sorry for the confusion.

As it turns out I am just waiting for a call from ALS for the same thing. I guess that is called a lift recliner I thing.
Al

We had a lazy boy for my mother and it worked fine. However, knowing what I know now I think I would look at others some have a zero gravity position. I think it helped that my mother was petite so even when she was floppy it was fairly easy to transfer her I suspect it might be harder if the person is taller than the helper. For early stage just getting out of the chair it was fine.

On a side note years ago my grandmother got something you put in the chair and pressed something and got a boost. You adjusted it somehow according to your weight. She did not realize she had lost a lot of weight and the first time she tried to use it it shot her across the room ( she was not hurt so it is ok to laugh)

We had (still use as a regular chair) the Golden 505 Maxicomfort. There are different sizes and upholstery options. Get the optional leg extension if he's 6 ft. up. KimT has a Golden, I know.

Two years ago we bought a Pride LL-575 because it was the only lift recliner that I found that said it would accommodate my husband's height of 6'4". It has been very sturdy and we have had no problems with it's functioning. We have had some issues with the ergonomics. The head rest is too large and pushes his head forward. The arms are too short in front so when using the lift feature his hands were too far back for him to help push himself up( when he could) and too short in back so when reclined, his elbows fell into a big gap. The foot rest is too short even though they advertise it is for people up to 6'8" in height. So I can't give you a recommendation but hope this helps you avoid some pitfalls. My mantra in dealing with this " disease" is " the devil is in the details".

I have been leaning towards Golden Technologies. There are so many options, it's overwhelming.

In Ontario here ALS Canada supplies them, when they contact me and I find out more I will let you guys know what they say.
Al

Thanks Al, my neurologist's office is checking with MDA to see if they have one in their loaner closet. Good idea!

I have the Golden (recommended by Laurie.) I can't tell you how much this chair has helped me. It is more comfortable and functional than any other thing I've used. It has a tremendous range of motion with two motors. It will stand you upright or lay you into a sleeping position and everything else in between. I ordered the large and I'm glad I did. I was right on the border between small and large. I'm 5'6".

Although you can buy them online, a mom and pop medical store here in Daytona gave me a huge discount. I recommend leather (it is so soft and comfy) since it's forgiving to spills.

I bought the CLOUD because it was the most comfortable. I got the massage and heat. I did make some minor modifications by putting velcro on the arm to hold the remote within reach. I also had the extra leather made into a remote holder on the other side. The pockets are too low to be useful for anything other than magazines.

I love my Golden lift chair. I wish I had known about these chairs years ago. Everyone who tries it loves it.

I have a Pride model. Works wonders. It is kind of slow going from recline to standing. It takes about 7 rings and the phone is on answer by then, so keep the phone beside you. Other than that, it's a God send.
Vincent

I'm actually going to get one for Mike today. I found one in excellent condition on Craigslist. I'll give it a good upholstery cleaning just to be sure it's clean and we are good to go. Mike has Medicare and they only cover 80% of the chair mechanism...no cushions. These chairs are pricey so we went this route.

We spent some time looking at lift recliners, but back surgery put him in a powerchair suddenly and we never did get one. We did find, however, that there were differences not only in size and fit, but also in how they moved when they lifted up. Matt hated the Pride lift and we had about decided on the Golden. If you are purchasing one, be sure to find one to test first.

Look for a lift chair where the footrest extends from the seat without a gap between the seat and footrest. This provides somewhat better support rather than having the weight of the legs entirely on the calves. That reduces circulation and adds to swelling of the feet and ankles. Also look for one with maximum recline, ideally flat or even with the feet higher than the heart. You won't find one with a good pressure relief seat cushion so don't bother searching, just add a ROHO cushion when he begins to feel pressure on his bottom. The type of controls is important so look for easy to press buttons and a cable long enough to position the controls where he can best reach them. The size of the chair is important for tall or short people, and the position and size of the headrest pillow section is a big comfort issue. I don't know if any chairs today offer a way of adjusting the headrest. I had a chair that had a pillow that wasn't built into the chair back so it was adjustable.
Check out some types of recliner/lift chairs at SpinLife online.
The cost of a recliner is not covered by insurance but Medicare and some insurance may cover the cost of the lift mechanism, which would be calculated by comparing the cost to a similar quality chair to a lifting chair. A similar chair would be one with the same frame type (wood or metal) and general upholstery quality.
If he is near to needing a power wheelchair. consider getting that instead. It will be fitted to him in height, leg length, back height etc. With tilt/recline and articulated leg rests a power chair can be very comfortable. You can add the elevating seat for easy standing but this is most often a self-pay item at about $2,000. Power chairs have a limited range of tilt however, not flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back