Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Watertown
I write to ask if anyone can offer some advice on a "Lifeline" program. I understand there are various companies that offer this service. Are some programs better than others?

I live alone and, while still fairly independent, would feel safer to have an alert system in case of a fall or accident.

I am aware of one offering through a local hospital. I'd be interested to know if anyone would recommend I pursue this program.

Lifeline

Thank you.

If you have friends or family nearby, you might consider the FreedomAlert system. You don't pay a monthly fee because there is no company operator taking your call. It autodials in the sequence you program, friends, family and/or 911. A live person has to answer before it will stop the sequence. You do have to be able to push a button to start the sequence, just as with the Lifeline type programs.

My father is a veteran and was able to get the Freedom Alert through the VA at no cost to him.

One does have to access the button by pushing it. Strength is a factor there for the ALS patient. My father's telephone dials me, and when I answer...I have to punch a #7 so that I can speak to Dad over his device. If I don't answer, it dials the next telephone number in sequence, finally the last number dialed is 911 if the previous three pre-programed numbers go unanswered. Customer assistance with Freedom Alert is super!

It has great range for Dad and he wears it around his neck sticking the device in his shirt pocket.

If Lifeline is the Phillips system, it is the only monitor with an accelration chip that senses when we fall. If you don't push the button within 30 seconds(id you have lost conciousness) they will issue and alert. Their station is UL listed (an important performance standard). This is the one I am considering. My husband works full time and we have no kids or siblings. I have already talked to a home health agency and they have said if I don;t need medical help but just need help getting up that they would do that.

Good luck

I have been thinking about getting one. This sounds like it would be ideal.I think having to push a button might be a little difficult for those of us with limited strength.

I worry about the same thing. Will keep everyone posted if I get one.

I tried my mother in laws one on a watch band and couldn't push it hard enough to work. They probably have other options.

AL.

A friend of mine who also has ALS swears by this one...Assistive Technology Services - Assistive Technology Services

He says in addition to 911 you can have other numbers programmed in such as family or friends.

I got my life alert through my Home care agency it doesn't cost me anything . It's down at my feet. My aunt has one that sounds an alert when you fail, I think Medicaid pays for hers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back