Diagnosis
4/2020
Country
US
State
VA
City
Bedford
I am writing to see if anyone has tried a walk assist device called the Life Glider to aid in walking while preventing those without warning falls associated with MND? Any other walk assist device recommendations are welcome., as well I had been using a cane and rollerator type walker and still experienced a fractured ankle when me legs buckled without warning. I am now recovered and using a power chair, but would like to be able to walk safely again, if possible. Thanks for any advice.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your fall.

It's doubtful that the Life Glider or any other freestanding walking aid is safe for you. While it might hold your torso off the ground if your legs buckled, that could have devastating effects on other parts of your body, such as the spine and neck. You could snap ribs as well as fracture any extremities that flopped the wrong way. You would be a puppet on a string.

If your wheelchair has anterior tilt (Permobil calls it Active Reach), you might be able to use postural supports (belts and harnesses) such that you at times are held securely in space against gravity at a more than seated angle, which some users find beneficial for traction, pressure relief and circulation.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back