Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
Since my husband doesn't visit here, this is a big deal for him to say "you should tell the forum about these shoes." So, here it is:

Jim has been looking for several months now for a comfortable sneaker. His were cut a little high on the side and hit his ankle bone & rubbed his heel.
Not being a shopper to begin with, getting into a store & trying on a number of shoes was- well, trying! Sneakers have to be completely unlaced for him to put on due to his toes curling. Good thing I worked as a shoe salesperson going through school!

When he would go in & ask for the lightest weight sneaker they had, the salesperson said that would be a running shoe. "OK, let me see that in an 11", said the man in a wheelchair.
Funny to see the look on their faces! :shock: He actually had too much fun messing with them. (reminded me of CJ's husband)

So, after all this time he found a shoe he loves & wants to share why.
First, it is a New Balance (just the one that was comfortable for him) running shoe. It is light as a feather- easier to lift his foot when he needs to; also, supports his foot when sitting in his recliner. (used to take off shoes for comfort, but doesn't help the footdrop)
Second, it has a slightly broader base on the sides (the soles/rubber part) that is for stabilizing the runner I assume. Well, it also stabilizes him when he stands & transfers!
He said he can actually feel the difference from a regular shoe!
Third, it is mostly fabric on the upper part (as opposed to leather, or fabric & leather) and well cushioned all around, making the shoe portion very soft. This is huge for him!

His toes curl pretty bad now, even after we get them into the shoes. He is developing pressure points on a few toes; have tried all kinds of things for this, the only thing to really help is to remove his shoes whenever possible. But then the foot drops & this is contributing to his ankle & calf getting tight- so, I need to do frequent ROM exercises.

With the softer shoe, even when the toes curl, he doesn't have the pressure and can leave his shoes on more. I think this is better for his foot.(?) I know being more comfortable is better.

So, look for a running shoe that has soft/fabric, well cushioned, and a broad base.
A good shoe is expensive- buy the best you can afford in the most comfortable brand for you. As Jim told the salesman, "well, I won't be wearing them out!" :lol:

Mare...what perfect timing! My PAL Jim also has pressure sore on his toe, curled toes, foot drop and we have been on a hunt for light wt shoes. He is using Dr. Scholls toe separator, soaking the toes 1x/day now, vs. 3x/day in the last 2 mos. since the sore has given him trouble. Vaseline has worked the best to avoid having it dry out and less soaks (the skin becomes quite thin otherwise) as time has gone on. He takes his shoe off every chance he gets and then tightness of the ankle ensues which is frustrating...certainly wants to keep as much ROM as possible....exercises based on one of your other threads (I think it was you) have helped. This forum has been amazing--thank you for your contributions, as well! Anyway, found a Clark shoe, but will pursue the tennis shoe you recommended! Tell your Jim, thanks for posting the info about the tennis shoes, as well.....very very helpful and we are grateful! Blessings to you! Marie

Good to know...thank your husband for wanting to share this information with us, Linda

My husband only wears Crocs now. He bought them for fishing a few years ago to help him keep steady when standing in the river. They do the trick for him.

Back when I could get shoes that fit I found New Balance runners the best. Insoles removed easy for orthotics and afo.

AL.

$9.99 slippers from WallyWorld.

It has been over 9 months since I could get a pair of shoes on. I wear heavy socks and cover myself with a blanket. I am always freezing so the blanket is necessary anyway. LOL.

Interesting Joel. My husband is always so hot. I'm spending a fortune on utilities now that summer in the deep south has set in!

Missy, I think your husband and I could share our extremes and both be comfortable. We went to the zoo on a hot day, my wife boiled and here is a picture of what I thought of the heat! LOL

IMG_0090.jpg

I wear New Balance as well, have for 20 years or so. Having broad feet they were about the only ones that catered for them.
Used to wear them out fairly often, now i can only wish i could wear them out :lol:

cheers
Peter

Joel, at least you weren't wearing a toque! (Translation for non-canucks: a wool hat)

I am always hot and it hasn't been that warm here. My whole metabolism is so screwed up and I sweat even just thinking of moving.

LOL. That is true Barry.

I think I prefer to be cold as I can add layers of clothing and be comfortable. I watch my wife deal with being too hot and that seems to be worse.

Add me to the cold list, and my husband the Hot... That sounds funny. Joel I am like you, blankets are my friend, never far from one. I love Zoo's, my son and I just went to one a couple of weeks ago. I have been to so many, as my husband says more than anyone can imagine. I just love to sit and watch the animals, I could do that for hours. I am grateful that it is something that my teenager and I can share together, we both love it, sometimes my physical limitations prevent me from activitely taking part in activities with him, but this one, well it will always be something he will remember we did. Ok I am going to cry, must be the EL..or maybe I am just a sappy mom...lol...
I am so lucky I have been able to spend more time with my son in 15 years than people spend together in a lifetime. He is a mom and dad boy, likes to be with us, wow we are lucky..

H4C, sending you a hug, and am glad you and your son enjoy the zoo together. Regarding footwear, I'm still wearing Uggs...unless I'm in bed or on the deck in the sun. My toes are curled under but there's this clever trick with twisting the boot toward the other foot and bending it's toe down while pulling it on. Phil says to get side closing boots next time.

Barry, I think you're hot too! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back