Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
How do you eat maintaining independent living ?

Not sure what you are asking? Is your issue weak arms and inability to feed yourself adequately? Or is it food prep? Or something else?

I don't. What I take by mouth someone feeds me, what I take by tube, someone hooks me up and puts through

I have a PALS friend who uses a special cup for blended shakes. The straw is very long and he can drink it from his arm caddy. It does require the ability to suck thick liquid through a large straw. It would require someone blending the shakes for you.

I live alone, and feeding myself is becoming more difficult. While I have someone cook for me, and I can normally get something out of the refrigerator and get it heated up in the microwave, feeding myself is becoming very tiring (not to mention messy). I know there are a couple of robotic feeding systems – Meal Buddy and Obi. I've only seen a few videos, haven't talk to anyone one who has used one, and I expect they are quite expensive. But, for someone trying to maintain independence, it might be worth looking into.

Does anyone have any experience with these robotic systems?

Unfortunately, living alone requires an increased amount of assistance as the disease progresses. Now might be a good time to find out if you can hire someone to attend to your feeding. The meal buddy looks nice but it requires you to have strength in your neck and the ability to chew, so it would be a temporary solution. Also someone would have to take your meal out of the refrigerator and position it so the meal buddy works.

Tough question. I have a housemate but he is not my CALS. I would have no trouble asking him to feed me and heat meals.

I've thought a lot about independence and it's hard for me to figure out.

I live alone and have required help with meals for over two years. At first it was being fed by mouth and feeding tube, and now it's all by feeding tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back