Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
US
State
CA
City
California
My husband has been saying that his legs (quads) are really hurting lately. I assume this is because they are over compensating? (He is limb onset but still walking and independent, although he has to pull himself up stairs). Is there anything to help alleviate the discomfort? It's not cramping, and Advil doesn't work.

Probably. Does he have afo's? With foot drop and having to pull himself up stairs he should. For me it really helps with mobility energy and muscle fatigue.

If he does have afos and this started after maybe go back to the orthotist in case something is misaligned

He doesn't have an afo. We have our first real clinic appt in a couple of weeks and I can ask then. The pain is throwing off his gait more than the foot drop had been, so I'm hoping if he can get that managed it would help. He still really wants to work as much as he can do maybe that would help if he got the braces

You will probably automatically see PT at clinic but be sure to make that happen. Both the PT and the orthotist were able to tell after watching me walk just a very short distance exactly what my issues were with my gait.

Ok thanks Nikki!

Overuse is what causes my legs to ache. I can still walk. I walked on the beach and my legs are shaking and hurting. I just went too far and I knew it.

On the other hand, I just returned from the Gulf. Floating in the warm (90 degree) salty water helped with cramps and seemed to make my legs more able to function better. I was floating at least two hours a day. If money was no object I would buy a condo on the Gulf and float every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back