Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
el paso
hi, i have als n in a wheelchair from the time i get up 2 the time i go 2 bed. i do fine during the day but i hate nite time. when im in bed i cant turn myself so i sleep on my right side n my hip bone hurts. when i try 2 move my legs they cross n i hurt a lot. does anybody have any suggestions. any pain meds. im not under any meds:cry:

quadbliss

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/1998
Country
US
State
California
City
Benicia
Have you tried sleeping on your back?

Mike

Al

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Have you got a memory foam mattress. They are supposed to help eliminate the hip and shoulder pain. ALSA or MDA might be able to help get you one.
AL.

cukita99

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
tx
City
el paso
cant sleep on my back b/c my legs cross n they hurt 2 much

siuska

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
michigan
City
detroit
lots of pillows

i have a lot of pain too, although i don't have ALS...yet.
what i do is put a really big pillow between my legs when i am on my side. and when i am on my back i wedge to thin pillows up underneath the hip- just enough to cradle the hip...that and i live with a heating pad...hope this helps.

patricia1

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
7/1999
Country
US
State
newjersey
City
lopatcong NJ
Talk To You Ot He Or She May Have Suggestions

Peg B

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2006
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Flint
Hi cukita99,

You asked about pain meds in the first post. I take Vicodin (generic) for pain when I have it. I also take Benadryl with it as Vicodine makes me itch. I assume it's a bit of an allergic reaction, and the Benadryl fixes that. Best Wishes, Peg

Marjorie R. Wilcox

Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
New York
City
Richmondville
Special mattresses cost a lot of money. We took nine new bed pillows (cheapest at Walmart) and sewed them together with strong quilting thread, by hand, in sets of three. You put these out to cover your present mattress and situate them however is best for you. You can lay on top on them all... wrap up in them... put some between your legs..wrap you arms over some, whatever. We did this to make Rick's leg apparatus comfortable for sleeping. He had to sleep flat on his back otherwise. He has ALS and a leg injury besides. We hope you get some real rest soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.