Diagnosis
02/2005
Country
US
State
RI
City
Providence
I have been diagnosed with PLS for about 3 years. Recently, I have suffered cramps in my quadricepts [thigh muscles] in the middle of the night. It has happened 3 times in the last month. I can't even describe the pain [a root canal pales in comparison]. I try to stretch...move..anything to stop it. After 5 minutes or so, it goes away. I am left sweating and my wife so worried. Anyone out there with similar experiences? Have you found a solution? Kenny H

Kenny,

You mentioned you have been diagnosed 3 years now is that when your symptoms started?

I ask this because my mom's first symptom was barely 2 and a half years ago and she gets very similar cramps at night. She says she has to stretch out her calf because the pain is absolutely agonizing.

Quinine helps my cramps. My doc said I could drink tonic water but would need to drink it by the gallon. My prescription is called Qualiquin.

I use quinine. It helps some.

I know what you mean about the cramps in the thighs. There really isn't a lot of stretching you can do. When I first started getting those, the pain was absolutely the worst thing I ever had. I was doing splits trying to stretch out my legs. My husband would wrap hot, wet towels around my thighs. That would work almost immediately. 'Course, that's not a preventative. Only a solution at the moment.

My symptoms started about 4 years ago, but the leg cramps are a new thing. It is not every night, thank God, but maybe once every 2 weeks. I work out 4 times a week and that regimen does include stretching. I have not yet found a link between any activity I do and the torture of the leg cramps. I am considering doing a bit of stretching before I hop into bed to see if that stops it. I did read about quinine, but the side effects seem a bit scary. I hope that helps. I am almost 55, how old is your mom?

You mentioned you have been diagnosed 3 years now is that when your symptoms started?

I ask this because my mom's first symptom was barely 2 and a half years ago and she gets very similar cramps at night. She says she has to stretch out her calf because the pain is absolutely agonizing.[/QUOTE]

try soap to help with leg cramps

Ok, now I know this will sound strange, but what the heck, it's free and easy and it does help some people with leg cramps at night. There is a doctor who writes a medical advice column in my local newspaper. He has had very positive feedback with this trick. Take a regular bar of soap (the brand does not seem to matter) unwrap it and place it under the bottom sheet in the area of your legs that get the cramps. If anyone tries it, I hope it helps! I really like this newspaper doctor. He is open to alternative therapies if they are safe and free of side effects. He suggested rubbing castor oil on joints affected with osteoarthritis, and it helps my knees quite a bit. Good luck and God bless!

Linda

i get cramps in my left calf,right thigh and right bicep, i do get spasm like cramps in my right hand/foot where my toes/fingers will turn out.
you could also try arnica gel it is good for leg problems, if my legs are bad before bed i have a soak in a hot bath with rosemary oil, this is a great natural muscle relaxer and pain killer for cramps. or you can put 2 drops in a bit of unperfumed body moisturiser and massage it in. before i got ill i did a night course at college in aromatherapy and reflexology. would not have got through the past 9yrs without my oils.
take care
caroline:-D

leg cramps

Kenny-- I get occasional leg cramps and try to just walk through them, although increasingly my legs just get tired--even just walking up stairs. I've been diagnosed with PLS for a year and a half but have had symptoms for the last 10 years they are now getting worse; I'm 63 but very active. I'm also getting weakness in my left arm (slightly in the right) and my buttocks muscles are tight all the time---does anyone have these arm and buttocks symptoms?

cramps

Thanks for all of the responses. I did find another suggestion that I have tried for the last few nights and so far....no more leg cramps. I stretch out my quads by lying on the floor and bending my leg up so I can grab my knee and pull till I feel the stretch for about 30 seconds. I than do the other leg and back to the original...2 sets in each. I than sit up and attempt to put my feet together as best I can..sole to sole and press down on my thighs for about 30 seconds. Lastly, I stand at my dresser and hold on with both hands at shoulder width and bend down in a squat as low as I can for 10 reps.

So far so good...I will keep you all posted.

Kenny

Wow Kenny you are in fantastic shape after 10 years with PLS. Those exercises you mentioned would not be easy for the common PLSer. Good for you.

Ok, now I know this will sound strange, but what the heck, it's free and easy and it does help some people with leg cramps at night. There is a doctor who writes a medical advice column in my local newspaper. He has had very positive feedback with this trick. Take a regular bar of soap (the brand does not seem to matter) unwrap it and place it under the bottom sheet in the area of your legs that get the cramps. If anyone tries it, I hope it helps! I really like this newspaper doctor. He is open to alternative therapies if they are safe and free of side effects. He suggested rubbing castor oil on joints affected with osteoarthritis, and it helps my knees quite a bit. Good luck and God bless!

Linda

Not to rain on your parade, but I tried the soap thing. Tried for at least 4 months. Didn't do a thing for me.

Tried the soap, the article I read said Ivory soap.. but all that happened for me was a good smelling bed, (no a bad thing I guess).

Working Out

Wow Kenny you are in fantastic shape after 10 years with PLS. Those exercises you mentioned would not be easy for the common PLSer. Good for you.

My symptoms have been for about 4 years with a diagnosis of about 2 and one half years. I was an avid runner before this hit [15 miles a week] and figured I would be doing that till the knees gave out. Who knew what life would throw out at me. After a year of not having a satisfying excersise regimen, I worked with a couple of trainers who either had some MS experience or who were at least understanding of my dilema. I now work out 4 times a week and I must say, it is my way of keeping my sanity. I don't want to bore you with details of my regimen, but if you are interested, just let me know. It works for me!

rosemary oil

if you go to a health shop or a department store/health section look for essential aromatherapy oils and get some rosemary oil. it's not cheap but lasts months.
rosemary oil is a natural pain reliever and muscle relaxer.
put 5drops in a bath and soak or 1-2 drops in a non perfumed body moituriser and massage into the legs.
i have used it for colic by applying a drop neat around the navel area or earache by applying it around the outside of the ear.but never use internally.
hopefully if you try this your legs will be a bit more relaxed so you can sleep better.
take care
caroline:-D

I use to get leg cramps upon waking as I laid in bed. My wife knew the program....start massaging where ever I pointed. I was usually screaming in agonizing pain so I couldn't tell her verbally.

There was one incident where I had as many as five cramps back to back in one morning ranging from calves, quads, hamstrings etc. I was ready to die that morning. The night before this particular incident I had been drinking heavily with some friends. Everyone knows that alcohol causes severe dehydration therefore, I came to the conclusion that these severe cramps were a result of being dehydrated. To a normal healthy person this might not have happend but anyone with PLS knows we are the exception to the rule.

Since then, as long as I've stayed hydrated the cramps have dramatically reduced. I now go months without any cramps. I normally drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water/gatorade a day. Gatorade is important because it contains electrolytes and water doesn't. I usually drink one 32 ounce gatorade and the rest water. I also take a daily multi-vitamin. I recommend GNC Mega Men Sport. This is the best multi-vitamin in my opinion because it's time released. Another words, it stays in your system longer and does not flush right out. You body actually absorbes the vitamins and minerals.

I also exercise and try to stay active. All of these things greatly reduced my cramps. Also, another little trick I learned in the Marine Corps is.... sprinkle a little salt on your food. Salt helps to reduce cramps after strenuous activity.

Hopes this helps,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back