Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob I even Quit Drinking for a Year to prove to myself it wasnt the Alcohol that was causing My problems
I strongly Encourage those who have this to Curtail any use of Alcohol or limit it , Electrolytes Yes ,i like Kerns Nectar they make a Peach and Apricot, comes in little cans at the Grocery Store GREAT Taste. I Have GERD so some stuff makes it act up, Nectar doesnt Geo

before i got ill i used to like the odd glass of wine on a evening or weekend to unwind after work. but my body can not tolerate it now,even the smell makes me nauseous.
i would rather have a cup of tea.
caroline

Wine and Herb

Funny how the alcohol thing has come up. I was always the cheapest date around. Over the last few years, on a rare occasion drink up with a couple of friends some Stoli Vanilla. Great stuff and quick buzz. BUT, now if I do it, I know that walking can be hazardous and speaking can be difficult. As a child of the 60's, I used to indulge in an occasional doobie. Well...same effects. Too bad, it would have been great if it would be helpful.

I think you all missed my point. My point is stay hydrated and the cramps should subside.

I drink alcohol (beer) one/two days a week and it's my outlet. The rest of the time I am hydrating constantly. I work out four days a week (2-upper body, 2-legs) and I recently hit an all time record of 305 lbs on the bench press.

Through trial and error (alcohol involved, ha ha!), I have learned that staying hydrated is the key to reducing cramps. It's seems everything involved with PLS is multiplied by 2. Reflexes, pain and sensitivity are X2 a normal person therefore, dehydration is also X2. This may not work for everyone since we are all different but it something to try.

On a different note:
I went today and got fitted for the Toe Off foot braces. I forgot who on this web site recommended them but thank you! I go back tomorrow to pick up my pair. The guy who fitted me said these were the best on the market. I told him I knew that already because I'm a member of alsforums.com and they told me so.

Thanks,
Rob

I sympathize with you. I have had leg cramps at night for just over 40 years- EVERY NIGHT. There was a 2 month break a few years ago- cause unknown. I came across your blog looking for info on Qualquin. I try everything that I hear about, I have spinal stenosis and am bipolar- what's another drug. My cramps last hours to all night. Real screamers. For immediate relief I take a very hot shower- it works but when I get out they can start up again pretty soon so I learned to go to sleep fast. Sometimes it works. Walking usually helps but not always. I also get woken up by them. Lately I have them more often in my arms. Quite a site- arms and legs going. I also noticed they start if I'm tired or anxious or upset. Sitting for over a half hour also starts my leg going. Sitting on my pilates ball often stops the cramps. I unsuccessfully tried calcium and magnesium supplements- no luck. Hope this helps someone. I'm open to all suggestions. At least I have the ass, thighs, and calves of a marathon runner!

Leg cramps

My husband was getting leg cramps at night. He is taking vitamin E, it stops his cramps. He has ran out of vitamin E and went for a few weeks and the cramps would come back. When he has the cramps, I will put my hand under the ball of his foot to pull back and one hand on his knee to push down gently and it will pull the cramp out so he can stand. Hope this helps.

You raise a good point- more than one PAL has noted that stretching a couple of times throughout the day helps hold down the cramps.

My fiancee has terrible cramps too. First it was just in his hand(claws). I would rub them until his hands would ease. Now he is having terrible leg cramps. The dr said to drink tonic water because it has quinine in it. It does help. He drinks botlles a day.

quinine reply (not sure it will help)

I drink it sometimes in the evening, just to try to make my legs more comfortable when I'm trying to get to sleep. I don't know if it really helps or if it's all in my head, but they don't seem to be as locked up as much and have that "dull aching pain" when I drink it. I have also start using the "Geo Cocktail" with the lime juice in it (tastes good to me), or I just mix a little cranberry juice it. I guess my point is...I drink it, I like it, I have know idea if it is truely helping me, but in my mind I get to sleep quicker with it? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back