leg cramps & spasms

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter mcbeath

Can you please give me info to stop or cure very painful leg cramps & spasms, which usually occurr overnight, thanking you. Peter McBeath.

Hi Peter:
Sorry nobody's gotten back to you on this yet. My wife was given Baclofen (prescription med) as a muscle relaxant. I'm sure that there are other less chemical ways of doing it, but that is my experience. She used to get cramps quite often before her diagnosis... usually at night. I spent a lot of nights massaging her calves... okay...that was the line I used anyway!
Good Luck
T.

Hi Peter and Welcome,

Yes, baclofen, 800UIVit E, Massage, range of motion movements, heat, these were all the things we used on Henry. They all seemed to help a great deal. Try some, or try all. Those awful cramps are a big pain. However, you will find some relief with some of these treatments. Good luck to you.

Stay Strong, Carol

Re:

[quote:4a2842a5c4="TBear"]Hi Peter:
Sorry nobody's gotten back to you on this yet. My wife was given Baclofen (prescription med) as a muscle relaxant. I'm sure that there are other less chemical ways of doing it, but that is my experience. She used to get cramps quite often before her diagnosis... usually at night. I spent a lot of nights massaging her calves... okay...that was the line I used anyway!
Good Luck
T.[/quote:4a2842a5c4]

Thankyou "TBear", for your kind & prompt response to my recent query, It is greatly appreciated/

I will keep you informed.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter McBeath

Re:

[quote:b4f769b15b="Carol Deboer"]Hi Peter and Welcome,

Yes, baclofen, 800UIVit E, Massage, range of motion movements, heat, these were all the things we used on Henry. They all seemed to help a great deal. Try some, or try all. Those awful cramps are a big pain. However, you will find some relief with some of these treatments. Good luck to you.

Stay Strong, Carol[/quote:b4f769b15b]

Thankyou Carol, for your kind & prompt response to my recent query, It is greatly appreciated.

I will keep you informed.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter McBeath

Peter. I used the Baclofen and it didn't work for me. I use 300mg of Quinine now and hardly ever get a cramp now. It is an old anti-malarial drug but is effective for the cramps.

Hi Peter,
My dad used to have these terrible cramps at the time of his diagn. He does not have them any longer at all. Initally the doctor told him he should drink milk or take "tums..." (Imagine, the man goes to the hospital in pain, has no control in his hand, and is told to take tums!) 3 mos later he was diagn with onset als. He refused to take any drugs, and has been using supplements and vitamins, instead. He is not taking calcium, as often with als it is the inability to properly process calcium in the muscle cells that causes the cramps. Lack or drainage of magnesium most certainly will provoke cramps, so perhaps you can try and see how much of calcium is in your diet and if you have enough magnesium to balance it. His diet includes natural high supply of calcium (cheese, yogurt, milk, protein shakes-which are rich in calcium/potassium, etc.) so he takes a liquid shot of magnesium, which keeps things in balance and is of great help for the proper muscle function. Also, A LOT OF WATER. NO SODAS OF ANY KIND.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back