Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
Fair Oaks Ranch
My wife is on the noninvasive ventilator 12 hours at night and looks forward to that time — except that there are nights when she has leg pain most of the night. These pains are debilitating and don’t respond to Tylenol, Hylands Leg Cramp pills, heat, cold, massage. I reposition her 3-4 times and put cream on her heels but nothing works. She has no control of either leg as her ALS started with these limbs. Any suggestions?

Medical cannabis. It will help with sleep and pain. I think it was just legalized/expanded in Texas.

They have cream that she can use topically as well as drops that will give her more long-lasting relief without the harsh side effects of other meds.

Use Prevalon pressure boots with an extra stiffening strip on the bottom if needed and tie them together with a sash if her legs splay, so her heels are suspended and not touching the bed, and her hips are aligned (which you can also use a foam belt around her thighs to ensure).

You could also try Vasowraps during the day (even if she doesn't have pain then, keeping the microcirculation going could help them at night) and I assume she is already wearing socks in bed if she gets cold at all.

Again, if she gets cold or achy generally, a low voltage heating pad under or on top of the mattress helps.

I would also reconsider the angle of the lower part of the bed vs. the upper part, and add an overlay on the mattress if she does not have one, to make sure all is cushy.

Welcome!

Best,
Laurie

I agree with the medical cannabis. Since starting on the 21.5/12.5 % cbd/thc blend I have no trouble sleeping, I no longer take percocet or baclofen. My overall mood is better. One neurologist I know says over half of her patients use cannabis. It works. You can try the high CBD oils, but I find the balanced CBD/THC strain works best for me.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back