00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Nassau
Hi,

I am 29 years old and have been having left tricep/shoulder muscle twitching for about 3 weeks and it started on November 6th when my girlfriend felt it as she was laying on me. After that happened we both searched online and the worst stuff popped up. Leading me to this forum for help.

On Monday, I went to a neurologist on November 8th and had a Physical and Emg exam and everything came out normal as my arm didn’t twitch during the visit. I have been doing a lot of research on the computer and it says that EMG don’t work till later on and I’m curious if it would have showed anything right away.

After that appointment I finally went to my primary care doctor and she did blood work and ruled out any autoimmune disease and ran a test on my creatine kinase and it was 95 in range which I see can indicate something is wrong with muscles if that is high. I do have soreness in my tricep if I push down on it is making me nervous as there is no pain on my right tricep if I push down on it. I wonder if that can be from the muscles being destroyed. I finally went to a second neurologist a week ago on November 18th and he did a strength exam that came back normal and he said it is a beign fasiculation and nothing to worry about and said I could get an mri but not necessary but I went home and had a lot more twitching when the arm is rested and straight.

The twitches happen more when the arm is rested and happens a lot in the morning and sometimes at night. I have been woken up in the middle of the night by them as well which has been scaring me. I finally went back to the neurologist on November 23, so he did another physical test and said I am fine but I still have a lot of twitching in my shoulder/bicep left side and had the MRI today.

I am just asking for help on this site as I feel scared and terrified. I appreciate all the help from whoever is out there.
Thank you and god bless you!

Clhoward, Your words below…

“I went to a neurologist on November 8th and had a Physical
and Emg exam and everything came out normal as my arm
didn’t twitch during the visit.”

“I finally went to a second neurologist a week ago on November
18th and he did a strength exam that came back normal and he
said it is a beign fasiculation and nothing to worry about.”

“I finally went back to the neurologist on November 23, so he
did another physical test and said I am fine.”

November 8th, November 18th then November 23rd.

What is it going to take? And... you had a clean EMG!

Do you know how many people wait weeks in between
Neuro appointments most of all during this Covid 19?
Most of all when the first Neuro said you were fine.

The 8th, the 18th and the 23rd... stunning.

You had a second opinion also which many wait weeks for.

Again… what is going to take? You don’t have ALS.

Often an unappreciated injury or poor ergonomics in sleep, work, exercise (like lifting too much or not warming up) or chill time is at play when twitching is acute and persistent in a localized area. The EMG was not, however, too early.

You have presented zero reason to worry about ALS. But since it's interfering with sleep, I would ask about a physical therapy evaluation.

As a side note, googling has only fed your fears, so I would stop. Twitching is thousands of times more common than ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

thank you for the response and I have had sudden left calf cramps as well lately but not extreme. Would that be something to worry about as well or does my symptoms warrant no worrying. Also how can I donate to everyone as I appreciate the response.

(1) Often when one set of muscles is irritated, others respond in kind, or if you are short on sleep, have a virus, etc., things tend to feed on themselves. I would not worry.

(2) That is very generous. There is a "donate" button for the forums up top.

Hi All,

since my last post my left arm twitching finally subsided but now I have been having left rib/left shoulder blade twitching which has gone on and off lately. I also have had a bad cramping pain in my left leg which gets worse while I work and hurts to the touch.

i wanted to know if this can be the twitching moving around in my body and if this sounds like something to worry about. I also remember the neurologist only did a half EMG on my left side and didn’t ask me to bend my arm during the needle portion. Please let me know any thoughts if you can as I am worried.

i also did donate to the form as I appreciate all the help.
Thank you

The EMG in ALS typically shows changes in most or all muscles tested, so the "half EMG" is not a concern.

Twitching that moves around argues against ALS onset, because the nerves die over months and years, not weeks. And when they die, they don't just twitch, if at all. They lose the ability to control the muscles at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back