Left side weakness with widespread twitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw9613

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
I am a 29 year old female. My symptoms began nearly two years ago. One morning I got off working and noticed my left calf would not stop twitching. Within two months every muscle was twitching, including my tongue but my left arm and leg remained the worse. My left arm and leg were not clinically weaker but noticeably fatigued faster than my right side. I saw a neurologist, I had a clean EMG and MRI. Only abnormality was hyper reflexes. I was subsequently diagnosed with benign fasciculation and cramping syndrome. I was very happy with this diagnosis and have decided to treat all of my symptoms as if it is BFS. Fast forward to December of 2020 and I realized I am unable to spread my toes on my left foot. I also cannot bend my left thumb without my index finger bending with it. The muscles on my left hand are smaller than on my right hand but I honestly can’t say they haven’t always been that way. The twitching and pain/cramping have never stopped and persists.
I am honestly worried with these new symptoms however I am nervous to return to the neurologist. Any thoughts on my new symptoms in my hand and foot? Thank you!

Not since my new symptoms. I went last July for a yearly check and he said everything was the same. I’m hesitant to return just yet, I don’t want him to be passive or assume I’m overreacting.

If your new issues have been consistent and daily since December, you could go back or do a video visit. That said, I can't bend my thumb without a finger twitching, myself. You could also try focused exercise -- sometimes muscles don't want to do our bidding because it has simply been too long since we asked.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back