Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
RU
State
Moscow
City
Moscow
Hello everyone and thanks for this forum, for the opportunity to ask all the worrisome questions. :)

Here are mine

Well, it might be not exactly a question for me after all)
I'm afraid I've got ALS because I've noticed I can't move my left thigh muscles (around vastus medialis, I think)

It's not about walking or running, or even workout though. It's really noticable only when I'm trying to move it while I'm sitting or lying on my back and my knees are bent.

My right thigh contracts at once, and several times without any discomfort, but my left one is really awful at that! I have to make quite a lot of effort to just see the skin bearly move! It causes some moderate pain and tingling afterwards.

Also there is a size difference. Left one is approximately 1 inch thinner then the right one.

I think it's an atrophy.

Can it be the first symptom of ALS?

Can it be benign? For example, any other disease or disorder, past trauma or, I don't know, malformation? I'm so afraid....

By the way, I used to love jogging. Can it be the cause? (Wish I'd never bought that elliptical trainer in the first place)

I'm seeing a neurologist in a week, but until then I'm just...

Please help

It could be many many things.

For what it is worth my quad issues presented differently. First they came after the muscles in my lower leg. Secondly they started with my knee collapsing while reaching for something in a modified lunge. Even now when I can not stand on one leg because my quad does not hold me up I can still contract the muscles when at rest.

It is common to have different sizes in matched body parts.

Tingling and pain are not usually found in the beginning of ALS which is a motor disease Sensory symptoms make it much more likely to be something else. Likely localized and either time limited or treatable.

Don’t worry and come back and tell us what the neuro said

Thaks a lot for your answer :)

The issue with the pain though is rather complicated for me. It's like the pain is...not sufficient. This feels weird.

Okay, I'll update after the appointment

I would also like to post a photo of my problem:

PBKl_2OL-sl9Hw

Last edited by a moderator:
Starless, your photo has not gone through. However, there is no need- there's not much people on the internet can tell you from a photo. As Nikki has asked, please come back after your appointment and let us know how it went.

Hi everyone,

here's the feedback I promised

So I couldn't wait any more (the whole week!) and decided to visit a neurologist with less busy schedule.

He said this whole quadricep issue was not a symptom of ALS.
Referred to it as some osteochondrosis, whatever this name might mean.

Gave me a Paxil prescription for my anxiety along with some other pills names of which I can't recall now.

I should be relieved, but, to be frank, I'm not, not even close.
What if I missed some of the complaints out and was misdiagnosed because of that?
Or maybe it's just the phobia talking.

Well I did not think it sounded like ALS and the neuro examined you and said it wasn’t which is far more important than the opinion of a random internet person like me.

You can continue to doubt and worry but since what you have said here all pointed away from ALS and no matter what you said to the neuro the exam was done you would be better served by taking your prescribed meds and following the doctor’s advice

Have a long and happy life

Last edited:
Dear Nikki,

Thanks for your kindness, support and attention.

Really helped me through :)

Hi Starless. You have an orthopedic issue. I hope you will be seeing an orthopedist. I’m glad it’s not neurological. Yippee!

So, for anyone out there worrying that they might have ALS, know that localized musculoskeletal problems (in this case, a knee issue) can cause weakness and atrophy in the surrounding muscles.

Hello Karen and thanks for your answer. It's very helpful :)
I didn't even realise some knee issues could cause so much problems.

Thanks again for your attention :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back