Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
City
New York
Hello! (I am not a native English speaker so what I am trying to write here could be unpleasant to read.)
About two weeks ago, I exercised in gym to increase my legs' strength and I suffered from extreme soreness for two days. Then after some rest my legs were back to normal. However, two days later, which is 10 days from now, after an hour of sitting, I stood up and felt extreme pain in the back of my left knees, which got alleviated with a night' rest. Then since the next day, I felt every joint of mine begin to pop whenever I moved it, and my right hand's fingers got a little stiff after some pain in the joints. The joints were back to normal except for my left knee. Whenever I walk for more than two or three minutes, it begins to pop and hurt a bit. I can feel some 'weakness' there and I unconsiously leaned my weight over my right part, which makes my right feet hurt after some walk. The pop of my left knee is like there are three "click"s when I move. I have a MRI this morning and the result shows that my joint and related muscles are fine except for slight damage of the fat pad. I suspect whether the clicks or pops and the weakness of my left knee is due to the weakness of my left quadriceps, which I cannot help but worry it could be a symptom of ALS.

I also did an EMG on my left leg and it is clean. But I am concerned that 10 days could have been too early for neuron damages to become detectable.

If you had ALS and have mobility compromise because of it, the EMG would have shown it.The nerve damage that an EMG shows and that reduces function doesn't start only weeks before you have problems -- it occurs over a much longer time.

I would continue working with your doctor(s) and ask about physical therapy. The most likely thing is that you injured your knee(s) and maybe even your fingers depending on what exercise you were doing in the gym. One knee can try to take over for another, and so on. There is no reason to suspect ALS, especially with your clean EMG and an MRI showing structural damage that may require healing time. That is where PT can help.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie.
But could my knee problem only be a result of some weakness of a particular weakness of my left quadriceps which holds the bone to prevent collision that can cause clicking, and this weakness is so restricted in a very small area that it cannot be detected? The EMG doctor only needled two points of the upper part of my thigh, and did not needled parts around the knee

In ALS, many tested areas are abnormal in specific ways, because nerve damage is widespread even when not yet perceived, so, no, the small area idea doesn't apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back