05/2017
Country
CA
State
AB
City
CALGARY
Hi all,

The above protein/energy drink has been touted as a miracle drink for those with ALS. So much so that it claims that out of 250 people, half had symptoms stopped or reversed. It's been heavily pushed on an fb group site where they are now asking for money in order to "gift" two months to PALS.

I am unable to find anything about this product outside of their own website and cannot find how this powder's ingredients can reconnect messages from motor neurons to muscles in order to engage movement again. I've seen way too many scams since my PALS' diagnosis and I am more than a bit cynical as a result. Has anyone had experience with this powder or has further info on it?

Thanks

Evolutionary Leap Technologies is another Martin Munzer venture which is
also known as Cygene Laboratories which he holds the following titles alone…

President
Chairman
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Financial Officer

No listed Board members. No employee data available.

No annual compensation, no financial data, no education background
available on Martin Munzer… so far. Still searching.

A possible phone number for Evolutionary Leap Technology/Cygene Labs is

954-741-7077

For what it's worth. :)

Update. Found the following

Education: Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Frankfurt International School.
Summary: At Evolutionary Leap Technologies we developed LEAP2BFit, a next-generation nutritional product. It contains a unique blend of 36 active ingredients.

Key word in sentence above... "we".

Last edited:
The claims are too good to be true. That means, they are not true at all.

The internet is rife with people and products with false claims. Most don't get me worked up, but ones that make false claims about ALS really do.

Shame on him!

Steve

Oh, he's affiliated with several outfits. I'm not going to give them more search visibility, but you can Google.

To give you an idea of his aims, one of his profiles states his interest in "Finance - Working Capital, Financial - Angel Investing, Marketing - Brand Strategist and Sales - Leads." Part of his marketing has been buying guest slots on sleazy infomercial podcasts.

There are several emails listed for anyone wishing contact with him.

The Boca apt. listed as his address (or one of them) is valued at >$1M.

As frequently happens with these supplement pitches, a PALS is kind of a wingman, in this case, with his own non-profit "buying two months' worth" for PALS. Of course, we don't know what money/product changes hands from the other side.

But back to the ingredients...since turmeric and curcumin (turmeric contains curcumin) are listed four times in the ingredients list, and can cause bleeding in combination with other drugs/supplements/conditions, and the mix also contains gingko, to which the same caution applies, once again, I have to say, there are risks -- check for interactions -- and don't fall. As usual, no quantities of any ingredient are listed on the label. There are other herbs that can be problematic as well, depending on the person.

It has all the earmarks of a supplement that wandered into ALS territory and found it fruitful. I don't see any reason to pay $50 for 15 days' worth after you get your two free months, if/as available, and to take the 36 ingredients on faith for your particular situation. Amino acids can of course be obtained through food, protein powder, etc.

Thanks everyone. I knew I smelled a rat because when i pushed for more scientific evidence as to its efficacy, i was subjected to insults and then promptly blocked. They do have a particular "wingman" to push this product and it's pretty shameful what he's telling PALS about what they can expect from this powder. How disgusting considering he's a PALS himself.

Mark Manchester, a PALS, had a non-profit that was giving two months of this product away. He claims dramatic improvement on his FB page and shows pictures. Claims he is out of his PWC. I know of a few PALS who did get free two months worth of product but now he says the NFP ran out of money.

As Laurie states, some of the ingredients can interact. I don't do well with gingko as it gives me heart palpitations. I actually requested two months free and gave them my name but never heard back except to see his FB page saying they were all out of money.

This reminds me of the Lunasin craze only Lunasin actually went to trial. Some reported improvements but, IMO, it was due to bursts of energy from the amino acids and other ingredients or the placebo effect. I decided against Lunasin because, IMO, there was too much copper in it and not the right form. It is also a multi-level marketing product so I opted out of trying it.

Just my opinion but I check my blood for deficiencies in both Vitamins and Minerals, along with comprehensive blood work and supplement to correct deficiencies and with other supplements that, I believe, my body is gaining benefit from. Sometimes my method goes against Mayo Clinic's recommendation. For example, they told me to stop taking B-12 because my levels were above normal. I'm still taking it.

So, make the decision for yourself.

The difficulty with ALS is its lack of any sort of pattern. Everybody's disease progression is different. This makes rigorous clinical trials difficult to quantify due to a lack of pattern. This also makes it easier for snake oil salesmen to take a single case of "improvement" to then go out and proclaim a cure. Who knows if their test case was someone with slow progression or the disease was in a plateau phase.

Neurologists and medical researchers are finally funded to a point where we are making great advancements and there are many different treatments in testing now. This is thanks in large part to The Ice Bucket Challenge of 2014. I have had opportunity to sit in on an international Peer Review panel. We convene these panels to give recommend where ALS Canada directs its research dollars. There are brilliant people working on this, as well as collaborating on an international basis. This is almost unheard of on medical research. We are in good hands.

The problem is without effective treatment options available today, people are desperate and so vul.nerable to people looking to sell false hope. If this protocol worked, we'd all be on it. If you are looking to throw money around, go on a trip, help someone else out. or donate to actual research.
Vincent

I agree with everyone's sentiments. I thought i would double check, though, as i have become a cynic with all of the supplements and nonsense that is peddled out there for folks with ALS. My fb name is jowayne and i have been the loud voice on the fb ALS Patients and Caregivers group asking for further evidence of this wonder powder, only to be insulted and blocked from commenting further.

It was all very suspicious and it was Mark Manchester that said this powder has restored his ability walk and upped his FVC from 7% to 79%. I cannot stomach giving false hope to people for a buck. I feel its shameless and cruel to tell people that their symptoms will be stopped or reversed. It is also being said that Duke University and ALS untangled are writing a review on the wonders of leap2bfit and that report should be out in about 6 weeks. I somehow doubt that Duke is spending their time on this but one never knows I guess.

Unfortunately the ALS Association has recognized him...

The Manchester Project proudly announced the first annual "Mark's Madness," an event that aims to promote local awareness, activism and education and raise funds to help support The ALS Association Louisiana-Mississippi Chapter, Team Gleason and The Manchester Project.

Mark Manchester was diagnosed with ALS in July 2011. Mark is determind to inspire others by continually pursuing a positive and inspirational attitude about life. Despite his diagnosis, Mark continues to challenge the works of technology and science to identify and implement the most promising developments toward new treatments and a cure. Mark has taken on the motto "NO WHITE FLAGS."

I hope the ALS Association looks into this Mark Manchester and his diagnosis.

Being able to walk again after being PWC bound?

Yup. I wasn't going to hype it by mentioning his name. He's tied into the Gleason Foundation and the ALSA is not going to investigate, repudiate or question any of it. It's just one of many instances where the ALSA jumps on a bandwagon that seems positive as part of a perceived halo effect, and does not really consider the potential impact on PALS who are not connected.

He could be a very slow progressor, misdiagnosed, whatever...but regardless of what the truth is there, there is NEVER a reason to take a pre-packaged, sparsely labeled, all or nothing cocktail of supplements created for another purpose, without better evidence than the classic N=1 and subsequent bandwagon effect. And I hope this demonstrates why we try not to hype anecdotes relative to other treatments.

Well said everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back