Latest ALS column and online video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leo, you have put into print what I have been saying for a few years now. I've printed it out. Maybe some people will believe what I tell them rather than thinking I'm just whining or too lazy to start a conversation. You hit the nail on the head again. Thanks. AL.

P.S. a printer friendly version wouldn't hurt if you could mention it to the paper.

Leo,

Thanks again for another great piece.

God Bless You,
Jeanne

thanks

Thanks Al and thanks Jeanne

Hey leo ,what a great article......describes mine and my husbands life to a t.....his speaking ability has declined so much in the last month or so i often have to speak for him as i usually know what he is trying to say....We also have that sense of isolation !Fortunately the kids still come around to watch hockey with him,his passion,and his familly and some of mine.However i dont think anyone truly understands the extent of his limitations at this point.Such a horrible disease it is so hard and exhausting to explain to those that are not around to see the devastation of everyday life! Thankyou for bringing more awareness to this disease and all that it entials........God Bless .....Gina

I think your column should be required reading. Perhaps for high school kids, caregivers, nurses, and doctors. Even though I'm a nurse with a husband with CIDP or MMN and I consider myself informed, you words made me step back and think about my interactions with people in difficult situations and made me wonder if my fears have made me hold back when I should be reaching out, and it make me think about ways to reach out. I have been reading through your other columns Leo. I admire you, and I wish you love, comfort, and friendship.
Laurel

I have been reading the oral histories from women who lived in the remot area of New England where my parents grew up. In days gone by, people made their own entertainment and took care of their own troubles. This form of self-reliance, it seems, forced folks to depend upon each other more.

Reading the stories of families who helped out during tradegies and relied upon each other for simple fun makes me realize how much we have given up when we sit back and let Hollywood fill our spare time and let the government take care of our emergencies.

I wouldn't want to let go of the safety nets. It is nice to turn on a movie when the neighbors run out of conversation and better yet to apply for help when a devastating illness arrives. But reading how people arrived with casseroles and stayed to help put in the hay when a farmer broke his leg makes me realize that we have isolated ourselves, and that is not good for either the person who needs visitors or those who need to watch a little less "reality TV." Leo is right- we do not know how to cope any more with the real human condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back