02/2017
Country
US
State
CT
City
suburb
Hi all,

We are going to be getting a hospital bed soon. I am thinking about a lateral rotation air mattress. My husband doesn't have much use of his arms. I realize that Medicare or insurance probably won't pay.

I have a medical condition that requires me to sleep through the night. We have a lot of expenses with our children at this point and we really can't afford to hire someone to stay through the night. Even if we hired someone "off the street" for $12/hour it would still cost $30,000 in a year.

So, I was wondering if anyone used one of these. Was it successful? Is it automatic? Is there a particular brand that you liked? Can it be used with a bipap? Can you use a pillow with it? Does the bed have to be flat in order for it to work?
I'm willing to spend a few thousand on it if that's what it takes.

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi, Tammy,

I wouldn't jump into a high-tech mattress he may not need, or tolerate.

Most PALS don't have one, and even those who do may not sleep through the night. No mattress or bed assures that. If your priority is his sleeping through, you are probably going to have to resort to pharmacology-- some combination, carefully titrated to be the lowest effective one, of MMJ, benzos, antidepressants at low doses, sedating antihistamines, etc.

Also, don't overlook the importance of sleep hygiene just as for you or anyone -- hitting the sack at the right time, played out with music, TV or talking books if needed, etc., the right temp, humidification, etc. In many climates, a low-voltage heated mattress pad under or on top of the mattress can help relax the muscles and keep the body at a constant temperature.

If you're willing to spend some money on his sleep, start with paying extra for a hospital bed with Trendelenburg/reverse Trendelenburg positioning for more comfort options -- way more related to pain/sleep than rotation for most PALS. And make sure the bed is long enough, e.g. consider 84" if he is 6-feet plus. Medicare will pay for its default options and you will be responsible for the rest.

Make sure the mattress is medical grade foam, get a latex pillow he likes, foam for his elbows/knees if needed, pressure boots if he needs them. There is also a ROHO overlay on Amazon, and more latex overlays than you can shake a stick at. All that will still likely cost less than a powered mattress.

In other words, build the system he needs just like you'd build a sandwich, knowing the best options may need mixing and matching over time -- don't walk into the shop and say, "Give me your most expensive sandwich that I can't make substitutions to."

Does that make sense?

Best,
Laurie

An alternating air mattress is well worth looking into. It is difficult to know the best system as some PALS/CALS don't like the alternating air, some don't like sleeping on ROHO or firm foam.

But figuring out the best probable mix and being able to switch and adjust to some degree is definitely the ideal. Do you have a PT or OT that can help you work on this?

Also the points on all the other things conducive to good sleep are priceless to consider. It took us a while to find the right mix.

Thanks Lauri. You're right. I'm really jumping the gun. We have been moving along a little at a time and dealing with things as they come. I'll ask about the Trendelenburg when ordering the hospital bed. If there is anything else I should know before ordering it please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks affected. There is a PT and OT at the clinic, but we only see them every three months. But, I could call them and ask questions. I'll look into doing that. Thanks!

I am currently using the SPANAmerica 5800 lateral rotation mattress.

It's quite comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back