Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
Will Medicare pay for a lateral rotation mattress? I wake my husband up every two hours to be turned. Currently I have no pressure sores.

Tracy

Will Medicare pay for a lateral rotation mattress? I wake my husband up every two hours to be turned. Currently I have no pressure sores.

Tracy

Tracy,

My quick Internet search says yes, they will. But the people who would know for sure are the vendors who sell it.

In order for the mattress to be paid, they must also get the bed. They should be easily classified as medically necessary DME for an ALS patient.

We started with a hospital bed with an air mattress, but that was not sufficient. The lateral rotation mattress worked much better.

--Mike

Check your plan's Web site. Go to medical policies and search on/scan the list for hospital beds/mattresses. Policies/criteria differ but knowing what yours is, have your doc write the order (rx) the right way, and often the bed vendor can help if/as needed. Don't call your plan and ask if something is covered.

It has the same Medicare code as the familiar alternating pressure with low air loss mattresses. We were going to get one, but it would have put us dealing with another DME supplier...

They are fairly rare and finding a supplier that has one can be challenging....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back