- Feb 20, 2021
- Lost a loved one
I met today with the genetic counselor and neurologist at Columbia for a pre-testing session, as part of the ALS Families Project. I’ve been in the study for a few years now but with undisclosed results. I’ve pretty much decided that I’d rather know at this point, than deal with the uncertainty of not knowing. They are supposed to be mailing a cheek swab which I’m to send back early next week. At that point it will be 6 weeks until we have another session to get the results. When going over all of the consents and paperwork, I realized that I’ve overlooked upgrading my life insurance or getting long term care insurance. I’m wondering how much this matters given that the testing will be done as part of research (and not through insurance). We have open enrollment and option to buy into LTC through my job in November. Part of me thinks that I should just wait until after that but I’m also eager to just get this done with. It’s like I spent so much time working myself up to the decision and now that it’s made I don’t want to wait any longer. Anyone have any insight on this??