Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
I have REALLY bad eyesight, as in one unit away from legally blind. With my hand weakness and spasticity it is hard to put my contact lenses in so a few weeks ago I went in for a consult for Lasik surgery. I think this will make my life easier if it works out-- just be one less thing to deal with.

Surgery is next week! I searched the forum and did see an old post where a few people mentioned they had done this and seemed to have had good results. The doctor said they've never had an ALS patient before but that it should not impact the laser surgery at all.

Anyone else done this? I'm cautioiusly optimistic.

I had lasik in 2001. I was in and out in 20 minutes and the procedure itself took about 30 seconds in each eye. My eyes were gritty and sore for about 4 hours after but I could immediately see so much better.

It regressed a little after about 5 years but it made such a positive difference in my life I'd do it again in a minute.

You need someone to drive you and you need to wear sunglasses on the way home. When you get home, take a nap.

Seeing better will help your balance.

Best wishes!

Thanks Kim! That's reassuring to hear, thanks for sharing! They told me about the sunglasses, drops, someone to drive me home etc today when discussing post-op instructions. Fingers crossed all goes well!

Kristina,
I actually drove myself home. The office was only a mile away and I was brave back then.....and healthy. You will do fine. All they do in numb your eyeballs with some drops. I was so surprised it took so little time. I went from 20/200 to 20/25.

My mother had it two years ago and it changed her life. It's such a grand thing to say, but absolutely true in her case. She has worn "coke bottle" glasses since she was 2 years old. Her eyesight started to decline quite seriously about 8 years ago. She got Lasik surgery as a last ditch attempt at keeping even some of her eyesight. She walked out of the surgery without needing to wear glasses at all and has kept her improved eyesight without any sort of degradation since. She also had the amazing fortune to discover vibrant colours again as well. It was something completely unexpected- she had no idea there had been a reduction in her ability to see colours till she walked out of the office and saw some blossom trees in their full and vibrantly pink glory.

She does have some issues with night vision, which I gather is common and will not drive at night if the roads are wet because of the reflections.

Lasik surgery was life changing for her. I wish you the same joy she had when she was able to see without looking through glasses and realized how clourful the world really is.

Kristina, as with any procedure, the main thing is to get a surgeon with good credentials and experience. ALS should not be a factor.

Best,
Laurie

My mother had it two years ago and it changed her life. It's such a grand thing to say, but absolutely true in her case. She has worn "coke bottle" glasses since she was 2 years old. Her eyesight started to decline quite seriously about 8 years ago. She got Lasik surgery as a last ditch attempt at keeping even some of her eyesight. She walked out of the surgery without needing to wear glasses at all and has kept her improved eyesight without any sort of degradation since. She also had the amazing fortune to discover vibrant colours again as well. It was something completely unexpected- she had no idea there had been a reduction in her ability to see colours till she walked out of the office and saw some blossom trees in their full and vibrantly pink glory.

She does have some issues with night vision, which I gather is common and will not drive at night if the roads are wet because of the reflections.

Lasik surgery was life changing for her. I wish you the same joy she had when she was able to see without looking through glasses and realized how clourful the world really is.

Wow, thanks for sharing. The doctor told me similar things, he basically said that people with high prescriptions like mine usually cry when they first sit up after the procedure and can truly see for the first time. I've been in glasses (and later contacts) since I was 5 so I really have no memory of a time when I could see. It's hard for me to even imagine what that will be like, but I'm hopeful and excited!

I had lasik surgery close to 15 years ago. I had always worn glasses or contacts since I was probably 10. I had 20/15 vision up until I turned 43, then I needed reading glasses only. I have never regretted it. I completely agree with Laurie. A reputable dr goes a long ways. Good luck!

I would do it in a snap. But my eye is so bad, the cost is around $4000.00 I dont have that kind money.
Patrick

I would do it in a snap. But my eye is so bad, the cost is around $4000.00 I dont have that kind money.
Patrick

Yes, it is costing us $5000. My husband is using his annual bonus to pay for it. Initially I told him isn't it a waste of money if I'm just going to die in a few years anyway? And he said never to talk like that. He said it's absolutely worth it if it brings me an ounce of additional ease given the situation. I still feel uncomfortable having us spend this much on me, but I've come to see his view on it. If our roles were reversed I would absolutely spend it on his comfort/quality of life with no qualms.

Lasik procedure was yesterday. It went really well! They gave me a xanax 20 min before to help me relax. It also had the side-effect of increasing my slurred speech a LOT so I had trouble speaking (more trouble than normal) for about 4 hours or so. I wasn't expecting that but I guess it makes sense if it was relaxing my muscles and they are already sluggish.

Woke up this morning with what feels like perfect vision, though they said it will continue to improve! Feeling really glad I went forward with this.

Thanks so much for filling us in. I am SO glad it worked so well for you.

What fantastic news! I'm so glad you did this :)

Definitely the relaxing affects speech - my Chris was bulbar onset and he had a lot of UMN involvement so with the slurred speech he also had a lot of jaw clenching, tension, clonus and spasticity.

Before diagnosis we were thinking it was TMJ so I did some massage for this and the tension did melt to a large degree and felt great but his speech immediately was so bad I cried and cried being sure I had broken him!

It sure made sense later as I learned about this disease, and of course his speech was back to just mildly slurred the next day.

Aww, Tillie, hugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back