Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SPA
State
Madrid
City
Madrid
First of all, I'd like to apologize for the post. I've tried to avoid it until now, but my worries are totally draining the focus of my life and I feel you can help me.

I'm a man, I'm 28 years old and I live in Spain. Just over two months ago I started having a cough crisis that did not end at all. I took antiallergic and other medications indicated by a PCP. Nothing solved. About 15 days after the onset of the cough, which had a slight improvement, I had a laryngospasm while I slept, which lasted a little over a minute, but left me very worried.

I went back to the doctor, who said that I might be having a reflux crisis. I started taking reflux medications and in the next 20 days I had two other episodes of laryngospasm - the first was rapid, but the second was long, again. I have not had a similar episode in fifteen days, but I still feel like coughing when I stretch my neck by moving my eyes up and I continue with a cough and the feeling that something is stuck in my throat. My voice is failing too.

I was referred to a gastroenterologist, who told me that reflux does not usually give cough, nor laryngospasm, and forwarded to a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist said that I might have been having a reaction to a reflux crisis and prescribed me budesonide and maintenance of esomeprazole, which I had been taking for a month.

Well, behold then about a week ago I also began to notice that the movements of my left hand were different. With each passing day since, the movements of my thumb are harder and harder. It is difficult even to scroll on the screen of my phone.

I would like to know if I should suggest to the doctor to perform an EMG, and would also like to know if my symptoms correspond to the initial symptoms of ALS.

It’s quite possible you have more than one thing going on. If the laryngospasm persists, see an ear nose and throat doctor.
In terms of your hand, those symptoms may be something totally unrelated. I’d start with your primary care physician.

Too soon to be thinking about ALS with so many more common conditions that can cause these symptoms.

Your post is titled “laryngospasm and atrophy”. What atrophy?

As somebody with reflux that causes coughing, I beg to differ. Having said that, I had this long before ALS. As Karen said go get it checked by a GI doctor or an ENT doctor. A clean EMG says no to ALS. I wish you luck figuring things out.
Vincent

It’s quite possible you have more than one thing going on. If the laryngospasm persists, see an ear nose and throat doctor.
In terms of your hand, those symptoms may be something totally unrelated. I’d start with your primary care physician.

Too soon to be thinking about ALS with so many more common conditions that can cause these symptoms.

Your post is titled “laryngospasm and atrophy”. What atrophy?

In my thumb. My left arm is weak too, but my thumb is getting harder everyday.
Other symptom related to the laryngospasm is the difficulty that I have to "clean" my throat. Neither saliva, water or sprays are helping me.

The advice you've received above is good. Start with a general care practitioner and follow their guidance about who needs to follow you based on their clinical assessment and your reported symptoms.

A note that "atrophy" can only really be properly diagnosed by a medical practitioner based on an examination of the affected muscles. A thumb feeling "harder" is not considered atrophy unless a doctor declares it so.

In my thumb. My left arm is weak too, but my thumb is getting harder everyday.
Other symptom related to the laryngospasm is the difficulty that I have to "clean" my throat. Neither saliva, water or sprays are helping me.

I guess I choose the wrong term. What I feel is weakness, not atrophy.

I read the sticky post written by Nikki and I was left with a question. The weakness I have felt in my arm and left hand does not stop my movements, it only makes them more difficult. I do not feel pain, but I feel like I have to try harder to make a few simple moves, my hand seems so loose that it moves easily until when the water from the shower falls on it and my fingers seem slow and locked, especially the big toe. It is a reaction that does not occur in my right hand, which I have felt no symptoms of weakness so far.

Is gradual weakness a sign of ALS or is it only ALS symptom when it appears abruptly?

Until two weeks ago my only symptoms were coughing and laryngospasm and now what has bothered me most is that weakness in the left hand.

Weakness in ALS usually does not come on as abruptly and rapidly as you describe.

Have you seen a physician about the weakness in your left hand? Most likely it represents a musculoskeletal problem rather than ALS.

I've had acid reflux (GERD) for over 20 years. I can elicit a cough by leaning back and stretching my neck. You need to see an ENT. They can put a scope through your nose and examine you as well as order a swallow test. It sounds very much like acid reflux. Sometimes, in addition to meds, you need dietary changes to help GERD symptoms. If you find out it is "silent reflux" buy the book called "Dropping Acid" as it gives many recommendations on what to and what not to eat. In the meantime, drink enough water and don't eat anything for about 4-5 hours before bed.

Your GP can work on your hand issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back