Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I messaged him, but he's not online on the forum right now. He's sure to reply to you. Take care, (BTW, I have a son named Justin :))

Thank you again, Rose.

And a kind thank you to everyone who said kind words about my son. His passing has devastated us and my main worry at this point is for my wife should I end up getting bad news about my symptoms from a doctor. It's unbearable to think of what that would do to her.

Hello Justin

I have to start by saying how very sorry I am about your loss. I wish you and your wife and your family the best.

I just looked over your thread and I'm seeing an awful lot that points away from ALS.

You have a lot of sensory symptoms that developed quickly and on a global scale . . . as did your other symptoms. That is not typical of ALS at all. All of that would hold true for your fasics as well . . . plus . . . you said they have since gotten better (that's another good sign).

It seems your "atrophy" has you very concerned. Weakness precedes atrophy with ALS, so if you are not feeling any weakness, then it's my guess the atrophy you see or think you see has always been there.

If I were to venture a guess/opinion (realize that's all this is), I would say your neuro is more than likely correct. It's amazing what stress . . . anxiety . . . sorrow can do to your body. I'm certainly not saying that it is all in your head; your symptoms are undoubtedly real . . . but more than likely not caused by anything life-threatening. You probably have some type of acute neuropathy (again, just my opinion).

One other thing you have on your side is your age. Only 5% of ALS diagnoses are prior to the age of 30 . . . and the younger you are lower those chances.

I think you are in good hands with your neuro; he/she is doing the right thing by simply saying to keep an eye on things. If there were any real concerns, he/she would have run more tests. I certainly wouldn't be worrying about ALS. Concentrate on your wife . . . your family . . . yourself . . . and go through the grieving process. Once you come out on the other side of that, it is my guess your symptoms will run their course and be much better.

You know where to find us if you need more help. Take care.

P.S. Give Diane (aka Rose) a big thanks. She PM'd me and told me about your thread. She is a sweetheart.

Wright,

Thank you very much, I appreciate your willingness to read my post and respond. Everyone on here has been so great.

I am definitely hoping (a lot) that whatever this dimple/dent is has been there all along so I will just monitor it to see if anything changes. And I am also glad to hear that weakness precedes atrophy. I have not had any perceptible weakness and my understanding is that real weakness is usually unmistakeable so that is comforting.

I also talked to my neuro this evening and he said that it could be some sort of adema causing a dent in the muscle and that if it doesn't go away by Wednesday he wants me to come in so I'll continue to monitor.

Thank you again.

And Rose, thank you again as well for being so kind.

Justin

To Wright or anyone else, I thought I might ask one more question if I may.

Has anyone had, or know if it is possible to have, very rapid atrophy to where the muscle has become significantly and very noticeably atrophied in a matter of a couple days? Perhaps notice nothing and then one day it just appears? Or does it happen more gradual than this?

I am starting to think that whatever I have going on with my leg that it happened very rapidly and I don't know what that means. I guess I'm wondering if this could be something other than atrophy. Thanks.

Not all atrophy comes from ALS. ALS atrophy takes time and you usually notice weakness long before.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back