02/2012
Country
US
State
MA
City
Winchester
Hello folks

This is a question for PerMobil power wheel chair users: I need a laptray for my PerMobil M300 but want to know if there is a cheaper alternative to the laptray that PerMobil makes that costs $1000. The problem is finding a tray that will attach to the Permobil.
Any one know of any trays that will work with a Permobil chair?

Thanks in advance.

Wilk

Good question! I've been needing and trying to figure out the same thing for Gary, so will be anxious to see what you all have to say.

I just bought the M300 too - but not the tray or even the cup holder at those crazy prices! I hope to find something generic. (?)

Maybe someone will chime in!

Long story short, you can get a much cheaper tray.
It will still be pricey but here are some options:

1. Try to find a medical lending library in your area. You may be able to get one for free. That's the best price!
2. Talk to your Durable Medical Equipment Dealer (your wheelchair guys)
They should be able to point you in the direction you need.
Richardson, Patterson, Therafin are some brands that will have trays. You will need the kind with a velcro strap on both sides, NOT the trays that slide onto the arms of the chair (won't fit if you have standard permobil arm rests). Depending on your size, the size of the chair and how you operate your chair, you may need a different tray. Regardless, your wheelchair guys should have made a recommendation.
3. If you know anyone handy, Home Depot and other stores have plastic available. You can cut the plastic to size but make sure the maker sands the edges for you. Then they'll need to make a strap to secure it to your armrests.

*My pal has Cerebral Palsy and uses a Permobil C300 with promximity switches. His tray is a Richardson tray but he's used many different brands in the past. We are at the dealer weekly because he is always breaking something on his chair. I guess that's what happens where you're 13.

If you can not put the lap tray in place by yourself, or need to drive yourself around with the tray on, there is no need to spend big money for a tiny tray. A piece of plywood 30 X 30 inches and two short bungee cords will do the job. Have the plywood cut out to wrap around you and reach back under your elbows for full support and comfort. Drill a hole near the back edge of the plywood arms. Set the tray on your wheelchair armrests and hook the bungees through the drilled holes. Hook the other end of the bungees any where on the back of the chair -- there are always places to hook to without having to add anything. Adjust the length of the bungees for a comfortable fit around you. The tray can be put in place or removed in seconds, is easy to store or take along, can be prettied up by using birch or even oak plywood and stain, and holds a laptop, drink, and other items easily.

Dear folks

Thanks for the suggestions so far -- a bit of clarification -- you can get generic trays that attach by Velcro to the armrests of the M300 but what I'm looking for is a tray that will support an Ipad or small computer and will actually attach to the side of the seat itself, like the one Permobil makes. Tried the kind (not made by Permobil) that attach by Velcro to armrests and that sort of works but is not steady and firm enough to support an Ipad. Will look into the suggestions people offered.

Wilk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back