Country
AUS
State
NSW
City
Sydney
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum not sure what to write so I'll tell you my story
I'm 17 years old, last year my mum was diagnosed with ALS/MND I go to school most days and care my for my mum after school, at night and on the weekends. My dad doesn't help, my brother lives far away so it's just me.
My mum can't move her legs and can barely lift her arms and her voice is deteriorating..
We live in a rural area and receive every little help during the day her friend helps, but the rest is up to me. I do everything.
My HSC/final exams are coming up and I'm so physically and emotionally drained that last thing on my mind is school. I get about 4 hours sleep every night.
My mum is very emotional and I wish I could ease her pain. It's devastating :(
But I'm so happy I found a place where there are people going through the same thing
Anyways, I recently started giving my mum a powder called "L serine", I give her 8 grams twice a day. Since she' started 2 weeks ago she has found little improvements such as more energy, slightly more movement in her arms.
I was wondering if anyone else out there is taking the powder, if so, how much? And what improvements have you found? And is there any other medicine that helps.. It is worth trying it really is.
There is hope out there I know it...
I'm looking forward to talking to all of you and making friends
Thanks
Sarah xxx

Hi Sarah. There is discussion about L-Serine on the forum.

Use the a Search link.

The sad truth is there are no miracles with ALS

I take l-serine it but at the 500mg level.I also take triple l-Arginine 15g level.I also take Mestinon 5.5 60g tabletes.I for myself know it works and would move mountains to get it! My first hour gets a little harder each day.I held off the demons so far.My praying will not stop...15months in...24months for a cure or treatment. I never look at the past...,I never look at the future...Keeping it in the now! This alone helps slow the progression! God's grace

SarahKatherine,
Your story breaks my heart. You should be going to dances and planning college. I ache for you and admire you at the same time. Not sure if you are in an area that has an ALS support organization to help guide you. Can't help you at all on the L Serine. How about health insurance for mom? Trying to get a picture but I'm praying for help for you, Loving Daughter Sarah.

Sherry
PS don't apologize for coming here to ask questions. You are welcome anytime!

Sarah you are such a wonderful daughter, you are going above and beyond what is expected of anyone your age. It humbles me.
another of our members here is in Australia as well. I know like America it is big but the internet makes it smaller and she can give you some guidance .... look up Tillie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back