know if there are any scholarships or grants available for children of PALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEidswick

Legendary member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
know if there are any scholarships or grants available for children of PALS?

Also, some states have scholarships for kids of vets that were/are disabled. Have to access the individual state sites.

In fact, Florida's VA told me of a Dept of Edu scholarship that the state of Florida gives out to children of vets who died of service connected causes. Both my kids have their tuition and fees paid by it.

The federal VA gives my kids about a thousand dollars monthly while they're going to college. That's called Chapter 35 or Dependents Education Assistance.

Since my Social Security and VA Dependent Indemnity Compensation is tax free, the state considers me to have a low income, and so my children also qualify for the FAFSA grant (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.) In short, my kids go to college for free since my wife died of service connected ALS.

>For the Vets there's DEA / Chapter 35

this is great stuff! I wonder what "If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. " means? I'm asking the PVA now.

Mike, is this in n the va sticky?

It says Sandy can get $'s per month for taking a correspondence course!

Unbelievable!

Yep, it's in the sticky.

If your kids attend school slightly out of range, they'll still pay. For instance, my girl is starting college at 17.

See section 18 of the sticky.

Also, the supervisor of the VA office at the college should know about it.

>Also, the supervisor of the VA office at the college should know about it.

I wonder about 26 and older ... Jenny is studying neuro bio but she's 32 ...

Max, I'm sitting here smiling because as parents we NEVER stop worrying about our kids! Your daughter is 32---and you are still thinking she's your little girl! (Which , of course, she is! ). Sounds like both your kids are bright, successful young people and will be fine no matter what!

>Sounds like both your kids are bright, successful young people and will be fine no matter what!

we'll see! She is in the US on a month-long holiday, back here on 11/3. I'll post some pics!

>I would hope that social workers at ALS organizations could rattle off more, too.

thanks, passed on!

The head of the local ALS clinic told me there are private scholarships that are also available. There is also a group specially set up to counsel kids of parents with terminal illnesses. My daughter attends one here.

thanks, Neil, passed on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back