Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Staten Island
Hello everybody. Im probably going to regret asking this but does anyone know if ALS starts with knee instability and knee buckling? over the past 2 months or so ive gitten sporatic episodes of my left knee buckling and i almost fall down. When it first happened i wasnt expecting it and it really hurt

I did mention it to my neurologist who said to me wrong office. Joint problems goto ortjopedists. She wasnt all that concerned at all.

All of a sudden it started to hapoen more and more. I also realized that my left knee crackles so much it soinds like popcorn when bending or going down stairs

I did finally goto the ortho whotook an xray and did a physical exam. Basically ibwas told that i do have some minor arthritis in my left knee and i need about 6-8 weeks of ohysical therapy to strengthen my quad and hamstring muscles. They also gave me maloxicam for the arthritis

I did start the therapy today. I must admit it was pretty rigorous and i was able to complete it. I dont know why but I started thinkkng This cojld be how ALS starts in the leg. I guess im so scared because the knee joint locks up when im walking and then it buckles. i can easily replicate it if i turn a certain way. Since it is happening more and more i feel this is the beginning of it fo me. Ive even boight a knee brace from cvs and am wearing it now.

I do admire all of you so hope Im not out of line. Should i be worried aboit ALS and insist on a lower EMG or iust be patient and complete my PT.

Thank you all

Complete your pt. You have been evaluated for this by 3 professionals the neuro, the ortho and the pt. To me it does not sound a bit like ALS but reminds me of what several people I know reported when they had knee problems and not one has gone on to develop ALS!

I really wouldn't worry about ALS at all if I were you.

And I hope you won't regret asking the question. It's those who hang around after getting their answer that need to regret it.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and reply to me. I am going to go through my PT and see what comes out on the other side. I"m just doubting this PT thing since it's the first time anything like this has ever happened to me and I"m just scared.

I guess I might have saw something in the latest sticky note that I misinterpreted. There was something about symptoms not getting better only worse day by day.

I've taken my knee buckling symptoms getting worse perhaps as my quad and hamstring leg muscles dying and unable to hold the knee joints in place properly.

My hypochondriac mind has got me going into the depths of internet research to see if what I'm experiencing with this left leg has anything to do with ALS.

Nick (38 yr old male)

Sorry you are having problems Nick. Please finish with you physical therapy and listen to your doctors. You don't have ALS. I do understand your fear though. But, luckily in your case it doesn't appear warranted for ALS. Hope you find your answers soon.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me. I had follow up with my neuro today who was nice enough to do a lower EMG.. no waiting. EMG turned out to be normal so I think I'm safe to say I can get this out of my mind.

I'll be going through my 6-8 weeks of PT and hopefully I won't have these issues walking.

Thanks again everyone and good luck!

Glad you don t have ALS Nick-enjoy and make the most out of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back