Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
De
City
Dagsboro
My CALS uses an old Kindle that has a switch on the side that you press to turn the page. It does not have a backlight which makes it hard to read at night. He has problems using the one with a touch screen and did not like the light you can attach to the kindle. Any suggestions? cici

Does the kindle have night mode? This switches the background to black and the letters to white. It saved my marriage.
Vincent

Would your loved one be interested in Audiobooks?

I have an Amazon Echo, and also purchase audiobooks through Audible (an Amazon Company) You can simply say "Alexa OPen Audible" and it will play your audiobook. You can tell it to go to Chapter 4 etc.

You can also call out ask for it to play radio stations.

It does use the internet and needs access to wi-fi.

If they have a smartphone or tablet, see if their library subscribes to Overdrive and you can play audiobooks through the Overdrive app (which you can download for free) You could also see if their library loans other Kindles or Nooks.

You can also download a kindle app on a new/different smartphone or tablet and access their existing kindle library.

With an iOS or Android device (tablet size is best for reading), he could also have any text from any source (e.g. public domain e-books, Web sites, PDFs) read to him, and/or the text version scrolled automatically at the same time (if desired) using Voice Dream. Either way, no need to turn pages.

The same device could also be his text-to-speech engine should speaking become an issue.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I think that we might try the audio on the I pad. I have access to Overdrive on that and can get kindle books from the library.
No Vincent, I checked and no night mode. Both of our kindles are quite old. He can't talk and I have Speak It on that but he does not liike to use it.

Hubby is not too tech savy, so it has to be simple or I get many cries for help.

Shiny, I will have to check out the Amazon Echo. Sounds amazing! Hubby's has problems with his hands so this might be a good solution.

We are in our 80's so all these newfangled things are mind boggling.
for us. Not easy

The Amazon Echo is very new, but it can do some amazing things. I am younger, and am still not savvy enough to do everything. It can be set up other things like Hue lights, and 'smart' outlets too. Then you can ask it to turn a light on etc. My dad uses his the most for radio stations, especially when there is a football game, and he also likes talk radio. I think this type of device will be developed further as people realize how much assistance it provides to those that have disabilities.

People use it with a website called "If This The That" aka IFTT, and there are 'recipes' where you can set it to ring your phone if you ask alex where your phone is ,etc.

I have been looking at Samsung TVs and I think they might be working on something similar with their next line.

I was hoping my dads tv that was purchased a couple weeks ago could connect to echo, and maybe we could use it as a voice remote control.... it does not though. I feel like there is some real potential there, or it can be done and I just dont know how. The tv has wifi and bluetooth.

Cici, My pals is59 and he struggles with all technology. You are in good company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back