Diagnosis
12/2007
Country
US
State
CA
City
Mentone
Hi All... I plan to start the ketogenic diet today. I was diagnosed 12/07 with leg onset and walk with a cane. I starting having fasc in my hands and lips this week. My voice sounds different (almost everyone I talk to comments on it). I am at least 50 lbs overweight and feel I can try this without risking myself weight wise. Anyone have experience with this? Did it help? The latest info I have found is that it is thought to slow progression. Since it is free and I can handle with weight loss I thought I would give it a try. I'd appreciate any comments.

Sharonca

sharonica,

What is a ketogentic diet?

Sorry... A ketogenic diet is Adkins type diet that is high fat, low carb. The research was done for children with seizure disorders who don't seize on this diet. It was found to slow progression in ALS in some people and I think in the mouse model. If you go the the ALSFORUMS.com and search for ketogenic diet you will find links that are helpful. Of course, the slowing of progression could just be a coincidence. Thus the importance of a National Registry. Hope this is helpful.
Sharonca

From what I read it shouldn't kill you. Supposedly it does burn the fat first before using up muscle. That being said, how do you know when the fat stops burning and the muscle starts. With ALS you don't want to burn up muscle before it's time. Be careful.
AL.

Thanks Al... Always the voice of reason. I'm doing my due diligence.

Sharonca

Diabetic diet also seems to work - - - similar

Since before I was diagnosed with ALS I was eating what is basically a diabetic diet. My wife is a diet-controlled diabetic, and since she does all the cooking, I eat what she eats.

We are talking high protien, average fat, and NO refined Sugar at all. Also no simple carbohydrates either. Lots of good lean meat, cheese, complex carbs and veggies --- gree, yellow, red, orange - whatever color.

During several periods when I was eating desert otems - with lots of sugar and carbs - I had physical and mental problems as my glucose levels bouned up and down. Since these days I can no longer walk, and need lifting assistance for everything, the physical issues of the glucose bounce would actually have been dangerous.

Believe me, once you detox from refined carbs and sugar you won't miss it at all. And even if you do, your overall physical state should be more constant.

RJG -- JustMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back