Diagnosis
05/2018
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
We were never able to get to clinic to get things checked out: she was really weak, and they offered to send a respiratory therapist to her home, so we didn't need to go. They eventually recommended Ativan, sublingual, but we didn't have a chance to use it often.

She was mostly able to relax her way out of it, and occassionally used a little thing I put together for her, which was a stick pen, with the ink tube pulled out, and she'd breathe through the narrow end of it. I put yellow tape on it so it was highly visible and she was able to grab that and inhale through it. It seemed to work, but she was resistant also to doing much when she had them.

She passed away two days ago after a really hard struggle with breathing, almost completely unable to swallow and her speech was almost unintelligible. She died at home and I was by her side, madly trying to get the right palliative meds into her, and only in the final hour was she finally comfortable.

I wish I'd thought of the baclofen to tell the palliative team, instead I only remembered the Ativan type meds. They didn't control her laryngospasms well. They're not that common. I regret that, but I know I couldn't think of everything. People, get palliative involved early. We could have made her passing so much easier if we had...instead, we had a mixup with the physician and the referral didn't go through fast enough. She just declined so very fast.

She's at peace now. I'll need a break from all this, so thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for your help and hand-holding and good kindness. I'll never forget you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a hard journey you went through with your mom. But you showed her so much love and devotion during that time. You gave her outstanding care. Such a horrible disease.

She is at peace now. I wish you strength and comfort.

I am sorry to hear this, Kathy. She was so fortunate to have you at her side, then and always. Try not to be haunted by the last few days. She knew what she meant to you.

Best,
Laurie

So very sorry for your loss Kathy xxx

Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry you lost your mom. Don't regret how things were or ran, it's just too much to get it all right and you did great.
I also had to walk away from the forum for some time. I spent more time with friends talking, I was outside, I made up for the last crazy weeks. Peace to your family and thank you for being there for her!

Kathy, I'm so very sorry for your loss and the pain that you and your Mom had to go through. This beast is kind to No one. Take care of yourself. Jlynn

She is at peace now, you took great care of her!

I am very sorry. As said above she was very lucky to have such a loving and amazing caregiver

You mom is at peace. You were with her during her transition. That's what matters.

Live well. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kathy, I am so sorry for your loss of your Mom. Your love and concern for her was evident in every one of your posts. I hope you find comfort knowing that she is free now and that you did all you could to try to help her.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

So sorry for your loss. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Kathy I am so very sorry for your loss. You were an amazing caregiver. You Mom knew you loved her and did everything possible for her. Never doubt that for even 1 second. Know I’m praying for you and your family for peace and comfort.

Hugs

I am so very sorry for your loss. She was fortunate for your loving care. Your Mom is comfortable now and I'm sure she will want the same for you. Go find your peace.

My best...

Jim

My condolences for your loss. You did exactly what a loving caregiver can do. Peace.

Ed

Oh my goodness, thank-you all so much for your kind words. They are truly consoling to me, you have no idea. What a lovely group of people you all are. We're blessed to have this community to support each other. It would have been so lonely without it, and thanks for reassuring me that I couldn't have done more. I still wish there was more I could have done, but I know I couldn't have. I did the best I could. My best and only thing I could say that I learned, that was so important, is get palliative involved as soon as you even remotely think you need it. It would have been so much better to have their support earlier than during a crisis.

Big hug to you all on this journey, PALS, CALS, and people who have lost their loved ones. Big hug.

Kathy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back